Not Needed

"I can't believe you're going to Italy! I've always wanted to go!" Carly, a blonde girl from the cheerleading squad gushed.

"Yeah, Soph, take us with you." Miranda, her shorter squad mate spoke longingly.

I gave them a forced smile. "If only I could pack both of you in my suitcase and bring you along."

They giggled.

The party was already in full swing as I expected. No one can throw a party like Cory.
So far, almost everyone had stopped me to ask and congratulate me about Italy.

It's not that I wasn't expecting it. It's just that I didn't quite think that it would be this annoying.

Everyone made it out to be this amazing experience when to me it was the most frightening thing I would have to go through.
Not only would I have to fly to a strange country where I knew no one. I would also have to face a group of the most powerful vampires in the world and apparently stand trial for a crime I didn't know I committed.
I immediately felt relieved when I spotted Monica by the kitchen door.

"Excuse me." I told the girls before hurrying away from them and heading towards Monica.

"Hey, you will not believe the night I am having." I told her with a sigh.

She looked at me sympathetically.

"Let me guess, everyone is bugging you about Italy."

I nodded. "It's so annoying, I wish I could just leave."

"Well maybe you should." Monica suddenly snapped.

I had meant leaving the party but she obviously meant something else.

I looked at her in shock. "Have I done something wrong?"

Monica let out a sigh as her face softened. "Sorry, Sophie, I didn't mean that, I'm just a little... mad I guess."

"Mad at me?" I asked.

"Kind of." She muttered.

Then realisation hit me, Dylan must have told her what happened. They might not be as close as Dylan and I were but they were still friends.

"Monica, I'm sure Dylan-"

"This isn't about Dylan." She spoke in frustration. "It's about you, Sophie."

"Me?" I asked in shock.

Monica nodded. "Ever since we became friends, I have had to live in your shadow.

The words that came out of her mouth shocked me. If anything, I lived in hers and Sierras shadows throughout our friendship.

It wasn't easy being klutzerella when your friends looked like supermodels.

"Monica, what are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about how everyone just loves you and everyone wants to be with you. Sierra had a huge crush on Ryan before you came around and you stole him from her and you knew very well that I had a thing for Dylan yet you still insisted on leading him on. Then there was Emmett, you were with Ryan at the time but you just couldn't resist snatching yet another guy Sierra and I were interested in."

"Is that what you think I do? Take everything away from my friends?" I asked in a small voice.

She still looked sympathetic but she nodded anyway.

"I didn't realise it until now but you are the reason pain and destruction comes to us."

Her words felt like a knife had just stabbed me in the chest. For a long time I did feel like all I did was bring pain to my friends and family. Now she was just confirming what I had always suspected.