Planning and Prioritising

Emmett

"Emmett." Carlisle said my name calmly.

"Yes?" I absent-mindedly muttered.

I was currently craning my neck, trying to see past the many tourists, to the castle that stood all around the courtyard. Hoping to catch a glimpse of that chocolate brown hair through one of the windows or something.

"I'm going to need your full attention." Carlisle ordered.

I turned to look at where he sat in passenger seat of Esme's car. He was looking back at me.
I wanted to give him my full attention, I really did but right now my mind was racing. I felt restless and jumpy. I needed to see her, I needed to hear her voice, I needed to touch her.

"Emmett, I have some rules for when we get in there." He started.

My eyes darted constantly out the window. The fact that Esme was driving at a snails pace to avoid hitting the humans irritated me. I wanted to run all the way here but Carlisle said he couldn't risk the humans seeing us.

"Emmett, focus." Carlisle snapped.

I looked at him realising I had completely stopped listening to him and continued staring at the building that was so close but seemed so faraway.

"Emmett, if you're not going to-"

"I'm listening Carlisle, I am." I insisted.

He looked at Esme and they shared a look before he refocused on me.

"We need to establish some ground rules before we go out there."

I noticed Edwards car driving equally as slow behind us and Alice's car right behind it.

I wondered if Carlisle had gone through these rules with them

"You are not to say a word. Esme and I will do the talking."

"What?" I yelled. "I don't get to give them a piece of my mind after what they've done?"

"We have to listen to reason."

'What reason?" I asked in outrage. "They made us leave Seattle so that they could take my-" I stopped myself. That was so wrong. I had no right to put a label on her or to call her 'my' anything after what I did to her. "So that they could take Sophie."

"I'm already doing you a favour by letting you come this far. Do not make me regret it."

"That's because I deserve to come this far." I snapped. I hated disrespecting Carlisle and I felt really bad about it but my emotions were all over the place right now.

"I think what Carlisle is trying to say," Esme started in her usual soothing voice. "-is that you're going through a lot right now, Em. Taking you into such a situation might just make things worse."

I knew that she was talking about Rosalie. And she was right.

I hadn't let myself think about it and the adrenaline rush I was experiencing right now was hardly letting me stop to think about what I had done. But I knew once this all was over and I stopped to process things, I'd realise what I had just done. I had willingly let go of my first love. A girl I swore I would love for eternity. But the funny thing is that when I was confronted with this situation, I didn't make the same mistake I had made the first time when I was confused and scared. I made the decision I knew had been right in my gut this entire time. I was certain that that I cared about Sophie way more than I cared about Rosalie.

I mean, I still cared about Rosalie but I knew all too well that I would never feel the same way about her. I didn't love her that way anymore. I stopped loving her that way when she left me the first time.