Confessions

"Italy? You are so lucky!" Cheri, Cory's girlfriend exclaimed.

I forced a smile at her.

Lucky isn't exactly the word I'd use to describe this whole situation.

"So when do you leave?" Dylan asked as he fiddled around with the cap on his soda.

I shrugged. "Don't know yet. My dad is meeting the agent today to confirm everything."

I still felt uneasy about my father meeting this 'agent'. I thought that they might send in the Jane girl to pose as one but then I remembered that she couldn't be that much older than me if not the same age. In appearance, I mean. I didn't know her actual vampire age.

Cory slung his arm around Cheri and smiled at me.
"How the hell are things going to function around here without you?" He asked.
I rose a brow at him as I used my fork to mess around with my salad.
"What do you mean?"
Monica let out a scoff. "Oh please, Soph, you practically run the school."
"Yeah." Cheri nodded in agreement. "I mean you're the social chair, you're in charge of the school paper and you're just pretty much the most popular girl in school... I wouldn't be surprised if they crowned you prom queen right now."
My eyes widened. "Prom queen? Me? No way. If anything Monica or Sierra have it in the bag."
My eyes travelled to a table not far from ours where Sierra, a girl I once called my friend, sat.
Monica and Sierra were both breathtakingly gorgeous and both popular, if anyone was going to get that crown, it would be one of them for sure.
Monica scoffed at the mention of Sierra's name.
"We should do something before you leave." Cheri suggested.
"Oh! We should go bowling!" Monica exclaimed.
My face dropped as my mind traveled to the last time I had gone bowling

He suddenly put both his arms on my shoulders and made me face him. His golden eyes bore into mine "You have no idea how I felt when I saw you like that. I never want to see you in that state ever again. And if there's a way I can prevent it from happening, I will do it."
The ferocity in his voice warmed my heart.
I could tell that he really cared.
"Thanks Emmett, really I appreciate it. But I don't want you fighting my battles." I told him.
He lightly squeezed my shoulders. "I'm not saying I want to fight them for you. I'm saying you don't have to go through them alone."

Alone. The word rang in my head. Ironically that's exactly what he had done. He had left me all alone.
I know that's not something fair to say seeing that I had so many people in my life who cared about me, my dad, Aunt Judith, Helen, my friends...
But they just didn't understand some things that Emmett would have. Sure Aunt Judith knew about vampires now but I couldn't really talk to her about the incident, it was tramautising for her too.
The only person I could really talk to about everything that happened left me...
"Maybe not bowling." Dylan spoke up bringing me out of my thoughts. I don't know if it was because of my expression or because he had some equally unpleasant memories from that night that he didn't want to relive.
Emmett and Dylan didn't get along very well for reasons beyond me so when Dylan showed up unexpectedly that night, Emmett was less than happy. And to make it worse, Aunt Judith had suggest that they be bowling partners and that did not end well.
"Why not?" Monica frowned, not seeming to like that Dylan didn't like her idea.
"Bowling just seems... forgettable. Lets do something more special." Dylan spoke.
Cory shrugged. "Why don't we just have a party?"
Cory was infamous for the parties he threw. They always seemed to draw a lot of attention and more than half the school would always show up.
Everyone voiced their own versions of agreement.
I had been to lots of parties at his house but the one I would never forget. The one that still haunted me was the night that James almost killed Dylan.
But Emmett had been there...
Arg! I hated how every little thing just brought my mind back to him.
"You guys don't have to throw me a party. I mean I'm just going to check out the place. It probably won't take more than a couple of days."
At least that's what I had been trying to convince myself. I wanted to believe that the Volturi only wanted to see me and perhaps ask me a few questions then send me back. But even I couldn't be that naive.
"We are throwing you a party and that is final." Cory spoke.
I forced a smile at him. "You just want an excuse to party."
He smirked. "You know it."
Dylan clapped his hands. "That's that. Tonight, we are throwing you an awesome party."
I sighed. "Guys, it's a school night."
"And we're seniors." Monica reminded me. "We can do whatever we want."
She wasn't wrong, really the only reason most of us still came to school was so that we could graduate in a few weeks time.
After the incident, my father had been more than glad to let me go to parties especially on school nights. Anything to get me back into socialising with people.
I had been sceptical at the time but after attending a few I found that they were actually really helpful in trying to forget ... him.
The siren wailed signaling the end of the lunch period.
Everyone immediately got up.
"Shall we attend the hell that is Math class?" Cheri asked me with a roll of her green eyes.
"Yeah, I'll catch up with you guys later. I just need to get something from my locker first."
"Well Mr Hughes is gonna kill me if I'm late for another one of his lessons." Monica groaned. "Are you coming Dylan? It's on the way to your shop class" She asked him.
Dylan shook his head. "Um... no, I'll just walk Sophie to her locker."
I saw the look of disappointment on Monica's face.
"It's okay, Dylan, I got it." I told him.
He shrugged. "It's no big deal, I need to get something from my locker too."
"Okay guys, see you later." Cory told us as he slung his arm around Cheri and the three of them walked away. Monica gave me a fleeting glance that I couldn't quite read.
Dylan and I walked towards my locker in silence until I decided to break it.
"So. Has um... Monica asked you anything interesting lately?"
Wow Sophie. Real subtle.
I mentally face palmed myself.
Dylan leaned against the lockers as I put in my combination.
He cleared his throat. "Yeah... um... she did actually. I wanted to talk to you about that."
"What's wrong?" I asked as I read his perplexed expression.
"I don't know, Soph..." he spoke as he scratched the back of his head. "Going to the prom with Monica? It just seems so... weird. Almost as weird as the thought of going with Sierra."
"Sierra asked you?" I asked in shock.
"Yeah." He nodded. "Right after Monica did."
I couldn't help but think that maybe Sierra had done that on purpose.
"What did you tell them?" I asked him.
"I actually told both of them that I'd get back to them later."
I smacked Dylan on the arm.
"Ow! What was that for?" He yelled as he rubbed his arm.
"For not saying yes immediately to Monica!" I yelled.
"What if I didn't want to say yes to Monica?" He asked.
My eyes widened. "Does that mean you want to go with Sierra?"
"What? No!" He yelled back in frustration as he pushed himself off the lockers he was leaning on. "I want to go with you!"
When the words came out of his mouth, that's when I realised how quiet the school halls were.
Everyone had gone to their respective classes.
"You want to go with me?" I asked in shock still trying to process what he had just said.
He shoved his hands into his pockets. "Yes. I-I do." He spoke shyly.
"Why?" It came out before I could think about it.
Dylan seemed surprised by the question. He gave me one of his boyish smiles. "Why not?"
I tucked a stray strand of hair behind my ear. "Wouldn't it be more weird if you went with me?"
"No." Dylan suddenly became extremely interested in his sneakers. "You're actually the only girl I've ever wanted to go to prom with."
"Oh." Was all I could get out.
Was everyone who assumed Dylan had a thing for me right all along?
I played with my hands as the new air of awkwardness settled around us.
"Um, D-"
"Hold on, first hear me out. I know this isn't the best time to tell you this but... well... There never has been a good time to tell you this. First you were with Ryan and I couldn't do that to my best friend then you had that weird thing with Cullen and well-okay, I'm just going to say it... I love you and... I have loved you for as long as I can remember Sophie."
I was left speechless. I just stared at him in shock.
"Umm... This is the part where you say something back." Dylan muttered.
That was what brought me out of my temporary paralysis.
"Dylan..." I started in a soft voice. "We've been friends since we were in diapers..."
Dylan let out a humourless laugh. "I can already see where this is going."
I bit my lip. "I do love you a lot but not in the way you want me to."
He looked away from me and we stayed in silence for a while.
"Are you okay?" I whispered.
He shook his head. "I just got friend zoned by my best friend. I'm not okay at all." He turned to face me. "It's just that I... I really do love you."
Those words were enough to take me back to that night.
he grabbed my shoulders and spun me around to face him.
"Sophie, please. I... I... I love you."
That's all it took, those three words are what finally caused the tears to spill out of my eyes.
I sniffed as I shook my shoulders out of his hold and stepped back.
I used my shirt sleeve to wipe my tears away "No." I said in a small voice. He looked like I had just shoved another knife into his chest. "I know you think you do but you don't. This is just a last desperate attempt to try and make me change my mind."

"Soph? Are you okay?" Dylan asked in concern.
I didn't realise that a tear had escaped my eye. I quickly wiped it away before turning to face him.
"Yeah, I'm fine... um... Dylan, I want you to be happy and you deserve to be with someone who loves you as much as you love them. So please give Monica a chance. You might end up liking her much more than you think."
Dylan just stared at me blankly like he hadn't heard what I said.
"Is this about Cullen?"
The question felt like a slap to my face.
"Wh-what?"
"Is this about Emmett?" He asked again, this time more slowly.
I felt my heart drop as the name left his lips.
I willed myself to not break down.
"This has nothing to do with him."
Dylan rolled his eyes. "But it does, Soph! It's been almost a year and you still aren't over him! We all see how you get when someone says his name."
"Dylan, stop it." I said in a small voice.
"Soph, I hate to say this but he's gone and it's time you got over him. He's not-"
"Dylan, stop it!" I snapped. Tears were now spilling down my cheeks.
His face softened. "Soph, I-"
"Just go." I told him bitterly.
He hesitated and opened his mouth to say something but closed it again.
Guilt was written on his face.
I turned away from him and faced my open locker.
I heard him mutter a 'sorry' before I heard his footsteps.
When he was out of view, I slammed my locker shut.
I gripped my hair in frustration as I slid down my locker.
Dylan was right. Emmett was gone and I needed to get over him.
But why was it so damn hard? Why did my heart hurt every time I thought about him?
Why couldn't I just get him out of my head once and for all?
"Well, well, well." I heard a smooth feminine voice speak.
I looked up and saw the two vampire siblings walking towards me.
The girl had a devious look on her face as she stopped right in front of me.
"Looks like the Cullens left out one tiny detail when they told us about you." She spoke.
I looked up at her with my tear stained face wondering what she was talking about.
Alec stood behind her and remained silent.
The girl squatted to my level and her frightening red eyes bore into mine.
"It's one thing to expose yourself to a human. It's another thing to get involved with one. Maybe you're more of a threat than we thought." She smiled wickedly.
"Ease up, sister." Alec spoke seeming bored by the whole ordeal.
Jane just moved her face closer to mine. "Oh but you know the rules, brother. Threats to our kind need to be taken care of."
I gulped at her words.
"I'm aware." Alec spoke still sounding uninterested in my possible demise. "But that's not our decision to make. Do you really want Aro to think that we went against his direct orders?"
To my surprise the girl moved away from me immediately.
She turned to her brother. "Since when are you the reasonable one? You're usually up for a kill."
"You know what Aro would do if he found out." Alec shrugged. "And my head is way too pretty to be torn off my body."
"Fine but he definitely won't be happy when he hears about this new information. And when he does, I will be the one to drain the blood out of her body. And I am not sharing."
Alec rolled his eyes.
"You've never been too good at sharing anyway."
Jane turned to face me in lightning speed and gave me another sick smile that caused my inside to turn.
"I can't wait to get back home." She spoke, this time she gave me a smile that showed her fangs.
My heart beat faster as fear settled into me. It was official now. I was going to Italy to die.