The Agent

Aro wouldn't be happy when he heard the news?

I didn't really process those words when Jane had been threatening me. But now that I had I was confused. Didn't they know that I had been involved with the Cullens? Wasn't that why they made them leave in the first place? Why did Jane make it sound so scandalous? She even called me a threat, Me, Klutzy Sophie Lockwood. What was I missing?

My eyes were on the road but my mind was somewhere else completely.

Apparently, I had done something that guaranteed my death when I got to Italy. But what was it?

If I could figure it out. Maybe, just maybe I could get myself out of being killed.

Wow. Today had been a long day. I had woken up late, been surprised with a pop quiz in history class, had my best friend confess his love for me and oh yeah... A vampire told me that she was going to kill me once she delivered me to her boss.

All this was overwhelming. I couldn't handle it, the thoughts just kept swirling in my head, each one demanding my attention.

I couldn't deal with this all at once. I just needed to get home and take one or two pills and then I would definitely feel better.
When I drove up to my house, I furrowed my brows when I saw a cab parked outside my house.
Who could that be?

I parked my Beetle by the driveway and got out of it. I headed up to the front door but even before I got there, the door swung open.
I heard my dad and Helen laugh as they ushered a red headed woman out the door.

She was beautiful and looked to be in her mid twenties. She had a tall and slim figure that I could only compare to a super model's.
Her smile looked like it belonged on a pageant queen and she had deep blue eyes.

"Oh, hey, kiddo." My father greeted me when he saw me.

The mystery ladie's eyes darted to me. "Oh, you must be Sophie."

To my surprise she practically grabbed me and pulled me into a hug.

I hesitantly hugged her back, all the while casting a confused look at my dad and Helen who just beamed as though this was the most normal thing in the world.

When she finally pulled away, she gave me an award winning smile displaying her pearly whites.

"Oh! Where are my manners?" She made a show of slapping her forehead. She outstretched her hand to me. "I'm Nina, an agent from the University of Milan."

I couldn't hide my shock and I didn't even bother shaking her hand. "But you're-"

I stopped myself when I realised that I was going to say 'human'.

"Australian?" She finished for me, saving me from further suspicion.

"Yeah, the University of Milan encourages diversification. I actually got scouted like you when I was around your age." She spoke. It's only then that I detected her accent hidden in that bubbly voice of hers.

"Nina is studying criminal law." My dad spoke in approval.

Nina gave me a smile. "What can I say? I'm attracted to danger." She shrugged.

I bet. I thought to myself.

"What are you interested in, Sophie? Photography, was it?" She asked.

"Photo journalism." I corrected.

"Right, great choice." She nodded. "A picture is worth a thousand words, right? The University of Milan would be perfect for just that. Last year's students actually got a chance to go to Mexico last year for their last assignment."