The Window

"So he just ran away?" Jane asked me curiously as we made our way back to my room.

I nodded. "He was acting really weird." I told her.

I had recounted the events of tonight. I didn't want to but Jane had insisted I tell her why Alec left early tonight.

"Alec is always weird." Jane pointed out as she stopped in front of the door to my room.

"Yeah, I know but he was acting... different."
Jane was quiet for a moment before she spoke again.

"Listen, Alec is a... 'special' kid. We both are, we weren't even three years old when Aro found us. Aro is the closest thing we've ever had to a parent. And everyone here is our family. We haven't seen much of the outside world that Aro didn't want us to see... my point is... We were turned the minute we turned nineteen and before that, we were in Aro's care. We haven't had the chance to experience what other teenagers have experienced. So you'll forgive my brother for not being able to express himself properly."

I wanted to point out that he expressed himself pretty well when it came to making sarcastic comments but I figured that wouldn't be the best idea.

It still didn't really explain why he had acted so weird but I could tell from the look on Jane's face that she wouldn't say any more on the matter.

"Is that why he doesn't believe in love?" I asked.

For a minute, I thought she wouldn't answer me.

"Alec doesn't believe in love because all his ever known is violence." Jane spoke. She looked off in the distance. "We grew up in pretty tough conditions and with his and my abilities, we kind of had no choice but to embrace it."

"What's Alec's ability?" I asked curiously.

I knew Jane's ability was to make someone feel unimaginable pain with just a glance. Demetri was some kind of 'super tracker'. Felix didn't have a special ability but apparently he was great in combat. I was told that Heidi's looks and charm was what attracted feeders but I hadn't seen Alec use his at all.

Jane looked off in the distance and gave a sick smile. "He can cut all the senses of a person rendering them useless in battle. If you thought mine was bad try not being able to see, hear, smell, speak or even feel anything when you're surrounded by your enemies."

A chill ran down my spine.

"That's intense." I commented.

She nodded. "Just how Aro likes it."

She finally opened the door to my room. I was surprised to see her jump a little in fright.

"Jessica." She spoke.

I appeared behind her and sure enough, my mother sat on my bed looking more than mad.

"Sophie and I are just from-"

"The beach, I know." My mother spoke. "I met Alec when he got back." She stood up and sighed.

"I should've known you weren't going to listen to my orders." She turned her face to me. She didn't look mad, just tired. "Did you have fun, Soph?" She asked.

I nodded hastily. "Yeah, I did. The fresh air really did make me feel much better."

My mother gave me a small smile before turning back to Jane. She sped up to her. For a minute I thought she was going to do something bad but instead she put her hand on the pretty blonde's cheek. "Sweetie, if you wanted to take Sophie out, you should have just asked Aro and I for permission."

Jane looked down and nodded. "I'm sorry Jessica. I'll be sure to do that next time."

The words 'next time' got stuck in my head.