Stallers

"Call me every single day." My dad ordered. "Look left and right when crossing the road, do not talk to strangers and-"

"Dad!" I snapped.

Nina giggled. "Aww... its so cute how protective your father is. Don't worry, Mr Lockwood, I'll take really good care of your little princess."

She threw her skinny arm around me. It wasn't comforting in the least, it felt... fake... rigid.

Nothing about her seemed genuine. She was too... perfect. It's like they made her practice how to be your typical beautiful real life barbie.

But she definitely had Helen and my dad fooled. They were treating her like she was my long lost older sister.

"Thank you, Nina." Helen smiled at her gratefully.

"Listen to everything Nina tells you." My dad ordered sternly.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. "Got it, dad. Now will you let us go. We're going to miss our flight."

He ignored me and turned to face Nina. "How are the crime levels in Italy? You know it isn't too late for me to get a plane ticket." He told her seriously.

Nina gave him a comforting smile.

"Don't worry, Mr Lockwood, Sophie is in good hands. It's completely safe."

I wasn't so sure about that.

"But we really should get going." She spoke as she made a show to look at her Calvin Klein watch.

My dad let out a sigh as he looked at me. "Do you have everything, your toothbrush? Passport? Tampons-" he whispered the last one.

"Dad!" I exclaimed as the blood rushed to my face.

"Okay, okay, that's enough, Phil." Helen stepped in.

She pulled me into a hug. "Really, do be careful, sweetie." She whispered in my ear.

I smiled at her reassuringly "I will."

Helen wasn't my dad but I knew that she was just as overprotective. She was a detective after all.

When I just started going to parties again, she would actually stay up until I got home and always offer me something to eat or drink. Or just offer her attention if I wanted to talk or hang out.

Obviously I couldn't tell her what was really going on but it was nice to have someone to just be... There.

She pulled away and smiled at me.

My dad looked like he was on the verge of tears.

His biggest fear was coming true. I was leaving home.
Well I would only be gone for a few days... hopefully.
But it still carried the same weight.

I wrapped my arms around him and he held on to me tightly.
For a moment I actually thought he would refuse to let go.
When he finally did, there were tears in his eyes.

He cleared his throat.

"Allergies." He grumbled.

"Sure." Helen muttered with a roll of her eyes.

I giggled and held out my hand to squeeze his.

"I love you dad." I told him.

More like reminded him.
I remembered the last time my life had been in danger and I had reminded him then too.
If there was a chance that I wouldn't come back, I wanted him to know it.

"I hate to break up this touching family moment but the clock is ticking." Nina pipped up in her artificial voice.

I almost wanted to shove her out the door and enjoy this moment with my dad and Helen.