Surprise, Surprise

"I never thought I'd ever say this but I missed the rain." I mused as I looked out the window of the cab we were in and smiled at the droplets of water that slid down the glass.

Nina was flipping through a magazine obviously uninterested in my fascination with the cloudy sky.

"It's just water." She spoke in a bored tone.

I didn't say anything. She couldn't possibly understand. It wasn't just water. It was water that I never thought I'd ever see again. I had left Seattle thinking I would never come back... alive anyway and now here I was. Safe and sound.

I was actually okay. Better than okay. I had seen my mother again. I'd like to think I had made some new friends. And I had met Alec.
I smiled as I fingered the pendant around my neck.

The cab slowed down as my house came into view. Seeing it again warmed my heart.

Nina shut the magazine before tossing it aside.
The driver got out with an umbrella. He offered it to me but I politely declined as I got out of the vehicle. I wanted to feel the rain on my skin. It served as a reminder that I was in fact alive.

Nina stood behind me with her own umbrella.
The driver took my suitcase out for me and I thanked him.

"Don't go anywhere." Nina told the driver. "I just have to say hi to her parents before I leave." She said the last part in irritation. Contradictory to how she had acted around Helen and my dad before the trip.

I got my suitcase from the driver and walked up the driveway. I found myself smiling at the familiarity of the place. The neatly trimmed hedges, the lack of flowers... All little details that reminded me that I was home. I didn't think I would make it back but yet here I was.

I got out my keys to the house out of my purse.

Neither my dad's car or Helen's were in the driveway and I knew that mine was parked in the garage.

"I really hope your folks don't get too chatty. The less I see of them, the better." Nina muttered bitterly.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes at her. She definitely was being extra sour during this trip back. I had hardly seen her while I was in Italy and it's like she was releasing all the snarkiness she had been storing up in those few days.

I would've snapped back at her but I knew all to well that being mean to someone who was mean to you didn't do anything except bring you down to their level. It made you a bitter person.

Take Sierra for instance, the incident in which she confronted me about ruining her life, I always thought that if I could go back in time that I would snap back and give her a piece of my mind. But really, the only thing I would've changed is how I felt about myself afterwards. I should've never let her words make me question my self worth.

"Do you ever think about your family?" I asked Nina as I held out on unlocking the door. The question truly had been bugging me.

Why was Nina with the volturi, acting as their little errand girl, when she could have her own life?

She tried to play it off like it was nothing but I could tell that the question hit a nerve.
She tucked some of her flaming red hair behind her ear.

"Not really, I grew up in a very loud and crowded group home with like thirteen other kids."

"Oh." I said.

"Well you must miss them a little." I continued.

She scowled at me. "Didn't you hear what I said? I said it was a crowded and lousy place."