lost love (pt 2)

Warnings: a little angst.

Steve Rogers Imagine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was the day. The day in which the love of your life would leave you to be with his love. 

After you left the room last night, you had a crying session that didn’t let you sleep. Even when you tried closing your eyes, your mind kept fighting against you by reminding you of the situation, causing you to cry longer.

You wondered what you had done wrong. What did Peggy have that you didn’t? 

There was nothing wrong with you. The past five years in which you were gone caused this. Steve had never stopped loving you, and every single day he cried his heart out because you weren’t there with him. 

He cried every night when he went to bed alone. He cried when he had breakfast and you weren’t in the kitchen with him, teasing his cooking. Sometimes he even opened the closet and stared at your clothes, hoping you’d be standing behind him and calling him weird. His morning runs took place in your favorite park. The one you visited on your first date. Everything he did was connected to you because he thought that if he didn’t do all those things, he’d forget you. He tried hard to grasp onto every memory of how you looked, talked, walked, and laughed. If he ever forgot you, it meant that he had lost his mind. And even though it seemed impossible, he still had hope that someday you’d knock on his door and take him in your arms.

After three years, Rhodey dragged him to the self-help meetings where people who lost loved ones because of the snap sat down and talked about their experiences. He soon realized that all of them had been doing the same thing he did. But their loved ones didn’t come back, and neither did Steve’s. That’s when he lost hope. That’s when he stopped crying whenever something reminded him of you. He realized you were gone and nothing could bring you back.

When Scott met with them and their time travel plan was set in motion, he hoped that you’d be back. But he didn’t know how that made him feel. He worked really hard to accept the reality of your ‘death’. Will having you in his arms throw all of that work away?

That’s when he decided he’d go back to his original timeline. He just wanted a simple, happy life. The future, which was his present after coming out of the ice, was way too complicated and conflictive. All he wanted to do after fighting so many wars was to peacefully rest.

“Y/n? He, um… he’s going to leave now.” Bucky announced from the other side of your bedroom door.

“Do you want to say one last goodbye?” 

No. You couldn’t bear to say goodbye again after last night. If you did, the small part of emotional strength you had left would vanish. Just like you did five years ago.

“Y/n?” You remained silent. If you talked, it would’ve probably come out as a cough.

You heard Bucky sigh and walk away. After you were sure that he wasn’t around, you opened the door and walked to the kitchen. You need water to hydrate your dry throat. 

While you were in the kitchen, Steve was saying his goodbyes to Sam and Bucky, and stepping on the time machine.

“Be careful, Cap.” Bruce smiled at him.

Steve nodded and activated his helmet.

Bruce pressed on a few buttons and Steve was gone, returning the stones and going back to his first love.

“Alright. He’ll be back in three… two… one!”

You rinsed your cup in the dishwasher and placed it on the counter. You walked towards the small kitchen window and stared at the trees. The way their leaves moved slowly calmed you and made you forget about your heartbreak for a few seconds. That is, until you heard something from behind you that made you tear up again. 

“The only way I could ever be peaceful is with you.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hope you guys enjoyed this imagine! Also, feel free to send me any requests ;)
Ily <3