break my heart

Warning: angst, language

(Disclaimer: No hate towards Jenny, this was all made up just for the purpose of the plot.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You were waiting for Chris to arrive. Today, you decided to cook dinner and made some lasagna. Finally, you found the courage to tell Chris, your roommate, how you really felt.

You and Chris have been best friends for a few years and after losing your job and house, Chris offered you to live with him. You accepted and tried helping around the house as much as you could. 

Ever since you moved in, your way of looking at Chris changed. He was no longer your best friend. Instead, he was the guy you fell in love with.

As you were taking the lasagna out from the oven, you heard the lock from the front door turn along the jingle of keys. He’s finally here.

You walked towards the front door with the intention of greeting Chris but you stopped dead in your tracks once you saw her. Chris wasn’t alone. He had brought Jenny. What is she doing here? You couldn't believe Chris would even talk with Jenny after how much she hurt him. It was almost as if he liked to punish himself for something he never did.

“Hey, Y/n! I thought it would be nice to invite Jenny over for dinner!”

Jenny smiled, “Hi, Y/n.”

You faked a smile and greeted her, quickly turning around and going back to the kitchen. This doesn’t mean they’re together again, right? It’s just a casual dinner.

You set up the table and served the lasagna. You didn’t really talk much and when you did it was short and dry answers. Chris noticed this and made a mental note to talk to you later about it. 

Eventually, after two painful hours, Jenny left. As you were washing the dishes, Chris stood next to you and leaned on the kitchen counter, looking at you.

“Y/n there’s something I wanna tell you.”

You nodded, “Go ahead.”

“Jenny and I are dating again.”

You stopped scrubbing the dish you were currently cleaning, and stared at Chris. You could feel the knot forming in your throat, tears stinging your eyes.

“Really?” You whispered.

“Yeah, are you ok? You went pale.” He got closer to you trying to see if you were alright but you just stepped back.

You couldn’t bear to see him right now. Why would he date the woman that destroyed him years ago, again? Why is he doing this to himself? Your heart shattered with the thought of them as a couple. Today was supposed to be the day you confessed your feelings for him. Clearly, that terribly back fired.

Placing the dish back in the sink, you took the cleaning gloves off and practically sprinted to your room. Chris followed close behind. 

You slammed the door and threw yourself in the bed. The tears didn’t stop from falling and sob after sob escaped your mouth. You had never felt this type of pain. You’ve loved before, but never like this. This was different. Stronger. To make matters worse, you lived with him. Would you have to move out? Would the pain be so strong that you’d have to move someplace else and stay far away from him?

When you slammed the door, you certainly didn’t lock it. Giving Chris access to your bedroom. 

He saw you there crying like he had never seen you cry before. All he could think about was, what went wrong? What did he say or do for you to be this upset? Nothing. He did nothing. You just fell in love with him and hoped it would be reciprocated. But it wasn’t. And you couldn’t force him to fall in love with you.

“Y/n?”

Shit. I didn’t lock the door.

“You ok? What happened? What did I do?”

You sat up, not even trying to wipe the tears away.

“I’m sorry, Chris.”

“Hey, hey. What are you sorry for?” He sat with you on the bed and embraced you in a tight hug. You pulled back and started fiddling with your sweater sleeve.

“I’m sorry for falling in love with you. I’m sorry for having feelings I shouldn’t have. I’m sorry for not being happy about your relationship with Jenny. Even if she hurt you before, she makes you happy. I’m sorry for not understanding that.” You spoke with a broken voice and as soon as you finished a sob escaped from you.

Chris sat there shocked, trying to process what you just said. 

“I don’t know what to say…” That just broke your heart even more.

“You don’t have to say anything. It's on me.” Chris looked at you with sadness in his eyes. 

The truth is, he was in love with you too. He’s fought so hard to get over you but never could. He thought Jenny would help him forget you. Now he knows you feel the same way. 

All he wanted to do was break up with Jenny and tell you the truth. But you didn’t give him the chance. After you spoke, you quickly stood up, grabbed your car keys, and headed for the door.

“Y/n, wait!” 

“I’ll be back in a few hours.” With that you left.

Chris only hoped you came back ready to talk because he was not going to miss his chance. He could finally be with the person he loved. He wasn’t going to let you slip away from his fingers without putting up a fight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you enjoyed! Vote <3 

Feel free to request any ideas for imagines! :)