30

Whispers began to fill Hyewon's ears, their talking getting louder and louder making the girl feel very uncomfortable.

"I heard she's in a gang."
"Someone saw her shooting someone the other night."
"I didn't like her anyway I knew something was off about her."
"Let's just stay away from her."

She could feel all eyes on her. Something she never wanted to happen was happening and she felt absolutely helpless. There was probably nothing she could say to stop the rumours from spreading.

The feeling she knew all too well started building inside of her as the familiar lump in her throat formed while she tried to hold back her tears from falling in front of everyone.

Her heart thumped loudly against her chest, her heartbeat infiltrating her sense of sound almost like it was trying to block out the gossiping around her.

She tried not to let her legs waver under her as she kept her gaze onto the ground, finding her way towards the back exit of the school.

Donghyuck walked into the school with Jaemin following behind him, equally confused by the commotion. "Uh what's even going on here?"

"No wonder she hangs out with Haechan so much."
"I thought she was a nice person wtf."
"They're all fake."

Much unfortunate for the people who were talking too loud, Donghyuck angrily pushed his way towards the group. "What the fuck did you say?"

Regret washed over their faces as one of them took the courage to open their mouth. "Every-everyone knows Hyewon i-is in a gang."

"I don't see why the fuck that should be a reason for the lot of you to talk shit about her."
A loud clang sounded through the air as his fist came into contact with the lockers. "Better shut your mouths or don't let me catch you talking shit again."

"I'm going to go find her don't wait for me," Donghyuck said to Jaemin before storming away.

_

Hyewon let out shaky breaths, trying to control her breathing but her mind would always go back to the whispers and judging stares and new hot tears would come pouring out.
She pulled her legs closer to her and buried her head into her arms as she continued to sob.

She had found a corner at the furthest end of the school. Broken chairs and tables had been discarded here, the lights weren't working and the shade was blocking the sunlight out.

It was lonely but at least no one could see her here.

She had stopped crying but still let her head rest on her arms. The sound of quick footsteps that slowed down near her startled her, making her look up.

Tears started to well up in her eyes again as she locked gazes with the familiar face. He gave her a soft smile.

"Hey Princess."

He slowly walked over to her as she put squirmed closer to the wall.
"No go away," she whined.

"Are you sure?"
She hesitated. "No."

Donghyuck chuckled, taking a seat next to her. "Stop crying Princess you'll look ugly." He lifted a hand to pat her head, knowing he was only joking. She could never look ugly to him.

"Shut up."
"Fine."

There was a moment of silence before she spoke. "They know."

"Mhm I heard." He retracted his hand, leaning his head onto the wall. "How did they find out?"

"I think someone saw me the other night when i shot that guy while you were drunk."

Shit. Donghyuck couldn't help but feel like it was his fault as guilt began to fill his heart, not wanting to look at her tear stained face. He would probably feel even worse.
"I'm so sorry."

"Don't apologise it's not your fault."
"But it is," he muttered under his breath.

"I don't know what to do or how to act now."

"Just be yourself. Fuck the people who don't want to talk to you just because you're in a gang. They're being unreasonable, you're still a human being after all."

Hyewon nodded her head. "Yea I guess."

Donghyuck got up onto his feet and brushed the dust off his hands before extending one to her.

"Come on, let's go cheer you up."

_

"Seriously Hyewon becareful next time."

Donghyuck walked out of the pharmacy with a box of plasters in his hands, pulling one out and sticking it onto her wound.

"Give me a break it was my first time."
They were climbing over the school gates and Hyewon had scratched herself on a metal part that was jutting out.

"As a gang leader that shouldn't be an excuse."

"Well you're not wrong."
He hummed in agreement. "Of course I'm not Princess."

Her cheecks flushed as she only noticed the nickname he gave her now. "Stop calling me that."

"Calling you what?"

"Princess," she mumbled, making the boy smirk at her tinted cheeks.
"No can do Princess."

"Ah whatever." Hyewon stood up and dashed away as Donghyuck chuckled at her childish behaviour.

_

The wind combed through their hair as warm sand crunched beneath their shoes. They walked along the shore side by side, embracing the sun's warmth.

"It's been so long since I've been to the beach."

"Same." Donghyuck stopped to turn towards the calm ocean, watching small waves hit the shore. "When was the last time you went?"

"With my parents years ago," Hyewon sighed. "Maybe things would've been different if they led normal lives."

She bent down to pick up a seaweed that washed up at her feet.
"Hey Donghyuck this kinda looks like you," she joked, trying to lift the mood.

He glared at her upon hearing her comparison between him and the splindy dead looking water plant. "I'll toss you into the ocean."

"I'm sure you will," she sarcastically said, but before she could head away she got picked up, both her legs hung in the air as she got carried deeper into the water.

"I swear you better put me down!"

"If I don't then what?" Donghyuck teased, pretending to let her go, making the girl wrap her hands around him tighter.
The tiny gesture was enough to make him freeze. He could feel her breathing on his neck, sending tingles through his nerves.

He awkwardly cleared his throat, heading back towards land. "Geez alright I'll put you down."

It was Hyewon's turn to glare at him after she felt the warmth of the land under her feet again.

"Don't do that again I'll actually beat you up."
"Oh how scary."

She tramped away, shaking her head at his mocking.
But the boy didn't follow behind her.

Donghyuck stood there as he tried to deny the realisation and feeling in his heart.

"Nah the heat's just getting to me."