42

The girl's chest heavily raised and fell as she laid on the concrete ground, almost out of breath.

She turned her head to look at the unconscious man next to her, the strong smell of alcohol infiltrating her nose.

"Disgusting."

It was the wrong move to pull a girl like Hyewon into a dark alleyway when you're already intoxicated. One kick from her and you could possibly be out.

As much as she wanted to just rest there, tired out of her mind, she got up and continued her interrupted journey to the convenience store.

The distinct smell of the store greeted her as she stepped inside. Her feet took her to the bandage aisle, the fresh cut on her face currently stinging.

After she paid for the bandages and a few other items, she took a seat outside at their wooden benches and table, a huge umbrella stand covering her.

It was around 1 in the morning so she was the only one there other than the boy behind the counter.
Contrasting to how she feels, the night was quite serene, a cool breeze blowing past as the bright store signs hummed.

She pressed down on the bandage that she placed on her cheek, making sure it sticks before reaching out to take her drink from the table.
The cap was sealed on pretty tight, her palms becoming red from the attempts of unscrewing it.

As she was about to give up, someone took the bottle from her. "Here I'll help you."

Hyewon glanced up at him and met his eyes. "Oh you...thanks."

"May I sit?" he asked as he handed back the opened bottle to her.

"Sure."

He rested his weight on his arms onto the table, looking out at the street in front of them. "Why are you out here so late?"

"I just couldn't sleep, nothing special."

"Oh so do you live nearby?" the boy chirped.

"Mhm yea I guess you could say that," she awkwardly chuckled, this being the first time they've spoken to each other.

It did put her at ease a little seeing that he seemed to be around her age.
His unkempt hair slightly covered his eyes, the typical hairstyle you'd see on a boy.

He scoot closer, tilting his head towards her as he made eye contact.
"I live around here too, we could be neighbours."

"Ehe yea maybe..."
Starting to feel uncomfortable, she subtly moved away from him. 
He didn't seem to take the hint as he continued to talk to her while she gave short answers as a reply.

"What's your name by the way?"

"Ah," she hesitated, "it's Hy-"

"Jang Hyewon!"

Her heart skipped at the voice, both of them looking over to the person who called her.

He slammed the door of his car, striding across the street to where they were, intimidation and charisma with each step he took.

"Hyewon is your name huh?"

"Yes it is but I don't see why it's any of your business," Donghyuck spat, looking the boy up and down.

The sound of wind chimes then came from behind them. Wanting the stranger to quickly go away, he pointed at the store, giving him a hard glare.
"Better get back to work, you have a customer."

At this point, the smile that he had before already fell. "Right. Enjoy the rest of your night."

Hyewon watched the boy get back behind the counter, scanning the items of the customer, before turning back to the one standing in front of her.

"Let's go."
That's all he said with his usual dead tone as he headed for his car with the girl reluctantly following behind him. 

"Are you sending me home?"

"If not?"

He adjusted the rearview mirror, starting the engine and rolling off the street.
"What kind of idiot just lets some stranger talk and sit next to her?"

She reclined her seat and closed her eyes, resting her head on the head rest as she let out a groan. "I'm tired don't nag at me."

"You don't even know him he could've hurt you," he continued despite her whining. "Just because someone doesn't look like a creepy old man, doesn't mean he isn't dangerous."

A smirk found its way onto Hyewon's face. "Are you worrying about me right now?"

"No, I'm just saying don't hang around some dude just because he's young and good looking."

"Then I shouldn't be in the car with you right now."

He was lucky it was dark, if not she would've been able to see the pink tint that crawled up onto his cheeks.

"Look it's different with me okay? I'm..."
"You're?"

"I'm like your friend I guess,' he mumbled, but loud enough for the girl to hear.
"If this is you trying to apologise for the other day then I accept your apology."

"Since when was I trying to apologise?" he scoffed, pretending like the weight on his chest wasn't lifted.
"You implied that you think I'm good looking just so you know."

"Yes that just means I have eyes, doesn't mean anything else."

"Uh huh, she likes me but she's in denial."

She chuckled. "Says the one who sounded so jealous."

"I did not sound like that at all."

"Sure Donghyuck."