36

He stared at his bloody hands, unsure of what to do. The bleeding just wouldn't stop.

He ran to the kitchen, grabbing a new cloth and quickly hurrying back to his mother.

She was dying.

Being his stubborn self, he refused to accept it as he continued to put pressure on her abdomen where she was stabbed.

"Hyuck ah."
His mother gently placed her hand over his smaller ones. "Honey just let me go."

He shook his head, glancing out the door the intruder had left open when he made his escape.

"Someone help please!"

His hand fumbled for his phone on the floor. He had tossed it previously after multiple attempts of calling the station but the line was busy.

His shaky fingers found its way to his dad's contact, pressing it and bringing the phone to his ear.

The line rang for a few seconds, the monotonous beeping building up Donghyuck's anxiousness.

"Hello?"

He could hear the noisy shouting in the background.
It was unfortunate his dad decided to take all of the guards out with him that day.

"Dad-"

"Look Donghyuck I'm very busy right now I'll call you back later."

"No Dad-"
The call cut off.

He felt his mother's touch on his cheek.
"Just stay here with me okay?"

"No no I have to go find help."

"Donghyuck stop."
Her voice was weak.
She tried to reach out to him, her hand grazing over his ankle as he got up to walk to the door.

"Don't worry mom I'll be right back."

Tears welled up in her eyes as her son headed further away from the house.

"Donghyuck.."

"Donghyuck!"

He snapped out of his trance, feeling Hyewon's hand on his shoulder.
"Hey you okay?"

"Yea..."
Their eyes met, hers holding ruth and sympathy.
He noticed it - that look, that look of pity she was giving him.

He hated it.

Realising he was still on the ground and that Jaemin was gone, he shrugged her hand away and stood up, brushing himself off.

He was drenched, making the night colder than it actually was, droplets of rain stuck to the ends of his bangs.
He pushed his hair back, using his shirt to wipe his swollen eyes as he tried to sharpen his vision.

Hyewon noticed he was trying to look for the injured boy, pointing in the direction where the paramedics were loading Jaemin in the ambulance on a stretcher.

"Don't worry they manage to stop his bleeding."
She wanted to comfort him, but she held her arms by her side in case he didn't want to be touched again.

"Will he be okay?"

She gave him a reassuring smile as he turned to her.
"He'll be okay."

Donghyuck softened his demeanour, his shoulders slumping. Hyewon took this as a green light to offer her hand out. "You wanna go get your arm treated?"

To her relief, he nodded, taking her hand into his as she led him towards the back of one of the open ambulances.

"Oof that looks like it hurts alot,"
a paramedic said as she reached for a first aid kit. "Take a seat."
He would've usually replied with something sarcastic but he was extremely exhausted, physically and mentally.

A couple feet in front of them, Han Soo was being pushed into the car by Taeyong. He didnt show any reluctance like they thought he would.

"Why do you trust the cops?"

His question came as a startle.
It was a question she wasn't really expecting, a question she didn't quite know the answer to.

"I...I'm not sure."

"I see."
He didn't push any further, leaving them to sit in silence.

Donghyuck flinched a little as the cotton dabbed his skin, tensing up as he was unwilling to let people know that he was in pain, but it was clear that he was.

Hyewon hesitantly lifted her hand, pausing for a while before she began to rub his back, feeling content as she felt him relax.

This was something the both of them never thought would happen as they sat with the other's company.
The two had always kept to themselves and without realising, they were slowly opening up to each other.

Neither wanted to acknowledge the fact that their walls were being broken down by the last person they thought would.

_

Hyewon had offered to walk Jisung home but he insisted that he would be okay by himself, so here she was, strolling along side Donghyuck.

The pavement was still wet from the rain, their shoes making squeaking noises but other than that, it was pretty quiet.
None of them minded it though, taking in the comfort of the silence after the hectic night.

They came to a stop at the pedestrian crossing, waiting for the sign to turn green even though it was late and there were no cars around.

The girl decided to just step off the sidewalk but stopped in her tracks when she felt the lack of his presence behind her.

She looked back, seeing his head hanging down, hands in his pockets.
"What's wrong?" she asked as she made her way back to him.

"It's my fault Jaemin's hurt."

"No it's not why would you say that?"

"If I hadn't move out of the way-"

Hyewon sighed, placing her hands on his shoulders.
"Look, if you hadn't move out of the way it could've been worse, and Jaemin's going to be okay."     

"I guess."

He lifted his head as she retracted her hands, his gaze landing on the band aid on her cheek. "You're hurt."

She laughed. "Well, barely."

What he did next stunned him probably more than it did to Hyewon.
Diffident of what came over him, he pulled her into his embrace.

Unfamiliar warmth spread throughout him, surprised she didn't push him away but gave him soothing pats instead.
She didn't say anything either. It was like she was waiting for him to say what was on his mind, and he did.

"I can't afford to lose anyone else," he mumbled into the nape of her neck, and she couldn't help but wonder if she was included.

"It's okay, you won't."