Bonus Chapter 2 - One Month

Aliyah

The past month has been a dream. Not a good or a bad one, but somewhere in the middle.

It could be considered a bad one because of the lack of sleep both Niall and I have been getting since having Aven. It is also a good one because of the same reason. Or at least kind of the same reason.

We have Aven.

Our sweet little angel we never knew that we needed. She may not have been what we expected to happen at the moment it did, but now we were happier than ever with our little baby. Even without sleep.

After the first week of bringing Aven home, both Niall and my parents left to go home. The only way that they said they would go home was if we sent them pictures every day or facetime them. For the most part, we've been doing that. The only times we missed it was when we were sleeping every chance we could get.

Niall and I have gotten Aven on a schedule. At least one that works for us. We've got her doing her routine naps and we're getting closer to getting her to sleep through the night. She eats every 3 and a half to 4 hours during the day. I will feed her before putting her to bed and she'll wake up in the early hours to eat again.

That's been something we've had to get used to.

She likes to wake up every so often just to be held by Niall or I. She's such a clingy baby.

We didn't mind it at all because we knew how short these moments last. One day she'll be clingy and the next she'll want nothing to do with either one of us. We just had to soak it all up now.

Something that we were surprised by was how much she recognized our voices. Within a couple of days of her being home, she always perked up to either Niall or my voices. Both of our parents would talk to her and she wouldn't have the same reaction she gave Niall or I.

She now almost always wants to go to sleep to Niall's voice. It's really cute to see the two of them together when she's being put to sleep. Niall would sing one of his songs to her while he rocked her to sleep and she would almost instantly be asleep. It was like his voice had something in it that would put her to sleep. It was amazing.

As of now, I just put her down for her second nap of the day. She takes her naps in her crib and at night, she'll sleep in our bedroom. It made everything much easier when she would wake up in the middle of the night. I had the baby monitor in hand so I could keep an eye on her and was making my way to the kitchen.

Niall was making us lunch while I put her to sleep. As I was walking towards the kitchen, I heard Niall talking to someone. I really hope that nobody is here today. I didn't feel like seeing anyone. I noticed that he was doing an Instagram live when I entered the room. I went over to him and hugged his torso. He looked down at me and smiled.

"I'm going to end this live," he said to his phone. "I'll talk to you people soon," he said and ended the live stream.

"She's asleep," I mumbled.

"Are you ready to eat? It just finished," he said, rubbing up and down my back.

"Yeah," I nodded. "Maybe there will be some time for a nap,"

"If you need some more sleep I can keep an eye on her," he said as he dished us up some food.

"Okay," I mumbled.

*

To my surprise, Aven was still asleep. I put her down for a nap around 12:30 and she was still asleep. It was almost 2:30. She had never slept this long. At least for a nap.

For the past hour and a half, I have been straightening up the living room and cleaning the kitchen to make it look cleaner than it was. I was now on the couch cuddling up to Niall while we watched golf. It wasn't my choice, but I was too tired to complain about what we were watching.

"You're about to fall asleep, why don't you go to our room and sleep," Niall said to me as he saw that I was starting to fall asleep.

"Aven will be up soon, I can't," I shook my head.

"I'll watch her, go to sleep," he said to me.

"There's a bottle in the fridge for when she wakes up," I mumbled as I got up off the couch and handed Niall the baby monitor so he could keep a close eye on her.

I knew that being a new mom or just a mom, in general, was hard, but I didn't think it would be this hard.

I was tired a lot but didn't get the sleep that my body needed. I was hungry, but never had the time to eat full meals because Aven needed me. I didn't mind that at all because she came first. Always. I would put off my meals to make sure that she was well-fed and well-rested. With only having her for a month, I already knew that I would do anything for her. Niall would say the same.

There definitely were some great things about being a mom that made the hard times much better.

Like how she was starting to smile at Niall and me. Every time something is hard, I just remember that my baby is happy. She was happy because of me. It always made me forget about any of the hard stuff. Every day I talk to her and I can see she is trying to respond the best that she can. At least in her own way. She'll open her mouth to try and say something, but all that comes out is babbles and her tongue all over the place.

It truly was the cutest thing.

Those were the rewards of being a mother.

And I loved it. I really did.

***