5.9

⇋I sat in my class, waiting for Ivy to show up as I sipped on my vanilla cold brew with a pump of caramel that Steele had ordered for me about fifteen minutes ago

I sat in my class, waiting for Ivy to show up as I sipped on my vanilla cold brew with a pump of caramel that Steele had ordered for me about fifteen minutes ago. So far, no one really had been treating me very different than what I'm used to. If anything, I notice that I've been getting slightly more glances than normal, but even then, it's not much to worry about. I can handle glances.

I expected everything to be exponentially worse the second Steele left my side, but it stayed the same as before. Except now I have a coffee and I'm about half an hour early for my professor and friend to arrive.

My eyes had left my cell phone as my lips left the straw in my drink while my attention wandered off around the mostly empty room.

It's weird to think about how I feel right here in this moment. I feel like I shouldn't recognize who I am anymore, but I still feel like me. Actually, I feel more me than I think I've felt in a long time. But that makes me wonder whether or not this is really who I am. Happy, easygoing, bright... feeling like I'm a genuine version of me rather than an imposter in my own skin. I'm sure I'm over analyzing this way too much too, but I need to figure out whether or not I'm still being true to myself at this point.

There was one point where I could have never imagined even being in the same room as someone like Steele, but he's caught something inside of me on fire. I feel different, but I still feel like me.

The only person I have to thank for this wonderful feeling is Steele. I never felt quite like this with Zach.

"I wonder if she's slow... like, in the head." Someone's voice whispered into the quiet air from the top of the staircase behind me.

I chose to ignore it. It's probably just someone talking to their friend or to someone on the phone. It's not worthy of my attention and I need to mind my own business. I'm trying my hardest to not be so uptight and judgmental of others anymore.

"She has to be. She can't possibly believe he would actually be attracted to her. She's a straight-laced, boring little nerd with no personality." Another person spoke, her voice sounding closer than the voice from before.

I waited until a body came into my peripheral vision to revert my eyes to the people who are very clearly talking about me. They're the same people from the other day, except this time, they're missing two of their entourage. I don't know who it was they're missing, and I honestly don't give a flying shit.

I'm kind of getting nervous with their presence. I don't know what to do.

"I mean, he's literally the sexiest guy in this entire city and she's a fucking nobody. And she really believes that he loves her? It's comedy. Laughable shit, honestly." The blonde one dared to look me straight in the eye as her smile dropped completely after her annoying voice died out. They both stopped at my isle to glare me down, the pure hatred obvious in both sets of eyes that are on me.