1.3

⇋Made it, my short, tense text sent to Zach as I approached the coffee shop

Made it, my short, tense text sent to Zach as I approached the coffee shop. It had taken about seven minutes for me to walk all the way here.

The unforgiving weather accompanied by the heavily clouded sky is the main reason it took me so long to reach the hotspot for college students. I quickly hurried my way inside the toasty building as soon as I possibly could.

When I first left campus, the sky had been a pale blue with a few dark clouds floating around. Now it was dark, threatening, and the deep navy blue clouds looked like they were about to burst any second.

As I walked into the cozy atmosphere of the shop, my phone buzzed in my hand. I turned my palm over and glanced at the message that read something along the lines of okay, stay safe. My face briefly loosened as I sighed in an annoyed way, and I started walking over to a brown wool couch that rested in the furthest corner from the main door. Once I came up to the welcoming couch cushions, I plopped myself down and immediately rested my head back onto the seat.

Today hasn't even been the worst of the week. That's the crappy thing. If I had to choose the worst day, I would say it was Wednesday. Zach threw one of the biggest tantrums ever, and the only way I could calm him down was to come onto him. That still barley worked though. He ended up getting completely wasted and finally passed out on the living room floor at four in the morning. It just seems like the rolls are beginning to reverse. I'm the one who wants to leave a lot, and I really don't want to be that person.

It makes me feel bad.

"What are you doing here?" Steele's sonorous voice surprised me with his swift question. My head quickly jerked away from the back of the couch as my eyes opened to face the messy haired twenty year old who crouched before me, almost like how Zach did whenever I was at home.

Man, I wish I could go home now...

"How is it that you always manage to show up whenever I'm in public? What do you want, Steele?" I rhetorically asked as I rested my head back onto the cushion, shutting my eyes in an attempt at staying calm.

"Wow, sorry for trying to say hi," he chuckled as he tried making light out of the situation.

"Okay," I groaned and shut my eyes even tighter than they were to start off with.

"What's your problem, Floor? I haven't seen you since yesterday and this is how you treat me? Kind of impolite, don't you think?" His gravely, snide comments continued to come at me while I tightened my eyelids even more.

"I don't want to talk, Steele," I warned with further brashness.

"Talk to me, sweetheart," Steele insolently, yet sympathetically, demanded.

"Do you not understand what I just said? I'm upset and I want to deal with it by myself. Thank you, have a nice day."

"Oh, sounds to me like you're finally starting to get a little ballsy." His arcane voice sounded closer. As if to confirm my thought, the cushion next to me sunk as he sat himself down. "I like the attitude. It's hot."