Chapter 97

Irene remembered the first time she had caused devastation and death to humanity in the olden days

She erased an entire city, wiping it off the face of the earth and its history and maps. And all that served as a punishment for mocking her abilities. The smoke filled the air, screams echoed in the burning villages as the creatures devour and destroy their homes.

Cruel, but just.

"How long before they die out?" Seulgi asks from behind. Irene merely shrugged, her robe is as dark as the night sky, her golden accessories glint mischievously against the moonlight. "Just have to wait."

Irene sighed and leaned back against her spear, "This isn't as entertaining as I thought."

Seulgi grinned and patted her toga, "They're just screaming their lungs off Irene, nothing entertaining there." The crackle of the fire only seems to bore her even more, Irene's dark obsidian eyes glower down at the purged village. "Maybe that'll teach the others to never doubt us ever again."

Reality came back to her as soon as she saw your bed was empty.

The demon sighed and placed down the tray of snacks made by your mother on the bedside table. Irene scanned the bedroom once more and decided to follow the lingering trace of mana that floats in the air until she had reached Minjeong's office. A soft smile touched her lips as she leans against the doorframe, there you are, standing with your half-awake face staring at a photo, your hair slightly tousled and lips forming to a pout.

For a moment, she had forgotten about the declaration she had made, heck she seems to forget anything when it comes to gazing at your soft features. And that can either be a blessing or a curse, but Irene knew she preferred the former.

"Y/N," She softly called out, making you lift your head to meet her dark orbs. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be sleeping?"

"Can't sleep." You mumbled, making Irene chuckle with mirth and walk in your direction; her arms coiled around your waist, "Rest, baby, you need it."

You turn to her, your hands still holding the photo, "No can do Hyun." Irene frowned, averting her attention to the photo, "What's in the picture?"

You hummed distractedly, your eyes scanning the photo of your mother in her younger days, next to her was a handsome man in a suit, his hair blown back, his arm draped around your mother's shoulder and they seem to be close, and maybe even closer...

"My Mom and some man."

"Can I see?"

You scrunched your nose and hand it to her, Irene frees her hand and takes the worn-down photo with a smile, "I have to say, your mom left so little for you."

"Little?" You scoffed, "So you mean I took most from my father?"

Irene paused, "Yeah. You can say that."