Chapter 98

Moonbyul flipped through the pages of the old records of human souls while the latest one lay beside her, eyes reading the sea of photos and lines, names, births, deaths, angels who watched over them the moment they're presented to the world, clea...

Moonbyul flipped through the pages of the old records of human souls while the latest one lay beside her, eyes reading the sea of photos and lines, names, births, deaths, angels who watched over them the moment they're presented to the world, clean, old and not smudged like the one beside her. The seraphim let out a loud sigh and cracked her knuckles, "When and why..." She muttered to herself and stands up, her slow footsteps echo in the library, her pace slow, her mind sketching her moves.

She then turns to the book where the duke and the Cheribum's names are written and turned away from it once again. Her eyes scanning the vast majority of books presented before her. She marched towards the table and ripped the page, she made sure no one was there the moment she ripped it from the book and folded it neatly, and placed it inside her pocket.

'Ripping the logs?' Moonbyul laughed internally to herself, 'Has my time on earth mold be to something more reckless?'

"It's not reckless if I know something's wrong." She reminded herself and placed the books back on the shelves, "Sorry Wheein, I'll tape it back once I've proven my suspicions." She rushed out of the library, she never felt such a rush within her, so much that gold cracks begin to show in her arms-

"Jisoo!" She exclaims as the dark, raven-haired woman stands before her with her arms crossed on her chest, "Moonbyul, what's going on, what's the rush?" The seraphim chuckled nervously and eyed the paper folded inside her pocket, "I'm heading back to earth."

The dominion raised a perfectly sculpted brow, "Why? There's nothing to do back on earth."

Moonbyul gritted her teeth, "No, am I not allowed to do a little sightseeing?"

Jisoo chuckled softly before stepping aside, the higher-ranked angel lamented, "Can I go with you then?"

"Why?"

Jisoo showed her a familiar smile, "I wanna do some sightseeing too." Both angels sensed another presence approaching, "Me three."

"Rosè?"

The younger dominion grinned, "I wanna eat."

"I'm not going back there to babysit you both," She reminds, "And I can't stay down there for too long."

"I'll die of boredom if I don't go anywhere," Chaeyoung retorts, "I'll just grab a bite and I'll be back here." The seraphim groaned and rubs her temple, "Fine, but once you two are done, see to it that you both are back, do you understand?"

Both younger angels stood straight and bowed, "Yes, Moonbyul."

"Good," The older woman sighed, "Then let's go"

_____________________

You gape at the older woman

'Jang Jieun'

'Jieun'

The name sounds so familiar, yet so foreign to you. Like another identity hidden within you, you shift your gaze to your wife, Irene returns your gaze, her dark eyes looking for yours yet you didn't meet her eyes and only staring down on the floor whilst you try to place the pieces together, the job as the secretary, the scholarship to the university...

"Since when..." This time, you snap your attention to Irene, your stare, pointed like daggers yet your question is directed at your mother, "Since when have you kept this from me?"

"I already told you Y/N, I had to keep you safe from whatever Eunseok has in mind for you." Her tone carefully treading, eyes watchful of your features. "No, no" You shake your hand in dismissal and turn your body towards the empress of hell. "Did you know about this?"

Irene furrowed her brows, "Yes, Y/N..."

"Since the day you met me?"

Irene placed both her hands on her hips and shifted her weight. "Since the day Eunseok offered you to me."

"And why didn't I heard it from you?" You inquire, your tone too sharp for your realization, your stare cold and sharp like daggers, "After all the time we spent together, especially during the times I endured my father or my sister's painful little reminder?"

"Baby, " She tries to reach out for your arm, yet your eyes narrowed and you yank her hand away. "Why?" You hissed, "Why?" Irene sighed, "It wasn't of constructive importance."

You scoffed, "Not of constructive importance?" You stride towards her, body bristling with fury, "So are you saying that my longing to find my real father isn't important?" Irene's dark eyes faltered, "Y/N, no, this isn't the time for discussing it." She tries to reach over for your hand again, you instinctively step away from her, Irene's composed facade cracks as she tries to reach out for you once again.

"Don't, " Your voice laced with venom, your eyes brewing with hostility, "Touch. Me"

Joohyun's eyes flashed with hurt as black smoke begins to form around you, panic filled her eyes as your mana begins to scatter, going haywire that she can sense it all over the place, your eyes turn white and red, Neosirth merged with your body, your mother calling out your name, their voices distant, incoherent as you use the smoke to distance yourself away from them. Yet as you felt the smoke from another opening to another place, Irene chased after you, gaining on from a distance until her form begins to glitch and teleport from one place to another, catching up from the distance you created.

"Y/N!" Her voice pleading, "Don't go!"

No...

As she nears your figure, she reached out her hand. "Don't do this, not when your body is still trying to adjust as a new vessel!"

You blankly stare at her, you can feel ice bristle over your skin, hardening it and pulling you farther away.

"Y/N-please!"

"No, " You decided as the mask materializes on your face, shielding the eyes she loves so much. "This is something I'd like to handle myself without any interruptions."

Then the smoke fades, so did you.

Irene was brought to her knees the moment you disappeared, her legs shaking when she tries to pick herself up, heart hammering as every bit of trace of your mana vanished, making her feel blind, helpless. Our mother running next to her, "Where's Y/N?"

For once, Irene doesn't feel sure, "I-I don't know....her mana...gone, without a trace..." She looked at Minjeong, her eyes glossy, "The look on her eyes...I-I..."

Minjeong's expression softened, "I know my daughter, Irene, there are times where she needs to handle things by herself."

"But does that include running away?" The demon inquires as she sits on the couch. Your mother sighed, "No..."

Irene's dark obsidian orbs glued to the floor, her limbs ringing with restlessness, "What should I do?"

The human placed her hand on her shoulder and gripped it gently.

"That's up to you, Joohyun, I won't be around much longer, so I'm entrusting my daughter to you." She then walks up to the stairs, her hand holding the railings for support.

"And I trust you to fix this, as will I."