Under The Moonlight (Levi x Reader)

Warning: Contains spoilers regarding the 57th Exterior Scouting Mission! Read with caution!

(A/N) This oneshot is inspired by the moonlight scene from Ao Haru Ride! I heavily recommend the anime if you haven't watched it yet :)

It was the evening of one of the days where the full moon shined upon the whole world. Its luminescent glow shining a color that reflected upon your skin, bringing out beauty all the while bringing out the blossoming of flowers that opened their petals from the light. This one shines heavily upon a seated figure as they laid their head down upon the table, facing to their right side where the window of the mess hall was located at. Their hands were clasped together, fumbling with their thumbs as they contemplated something.

You were seated upon that table, with the moonlight upon your figure as you thought about all of those you've lost, not to mention the toll it'll have taken on someone so fragile. You wondered if you should keep fighting, especially after witnessing the deaths of your fellow comrades in Levi's Special Operations Squad. Petra, Oluo, Eld, Gunther...they're all dead, leaving just you, Levi, and Eren the only ones left alive after the whole ordeal with the female titan. Yet, you couldn't help but feel so guilty that their deaths amounted to nothing since the female titan was able to escape. 

So how does one keep fighting? How does one keep in their emotions for so long without crying out for help? Questions swarmed your mind as you awaited the upcoming expedition in the next few days, wondering if you'd be alive by then.

You closed your eyes, breathing in before sighing. 

Minutes had passed before you heard footsteps and the slight creaking of the door. Slowly, the figure closed the door and upon noticing someone there, they sat down across from you with their tea.

Levi grew slightly concerned since he was going to the mess hall after completing his load of paperwork to get more tea, not expecting someone to be there as it was around three in the morning. Soon, he recognized that it was you. "(Y/N)?" he spoke softly, wondering if perhaps you had fallen asleep on the table. 

You hummed, letting him know that you were awake. "Mhm" you responded quietly, not in the mood to turn around, continuing to think about what it meant to fight. Why we should continue it and how you were going to deal with the loss of your comrades.

"Why aren't you asleep yet?" he questioned, crossing his arms as he glanced at the back of your head.

"I've been...training" you said, growing tired from, in fact, the early training you were doing. Waking up around two to get stronger because even if you were placed in Levi's Special Operations Squad, it didn't mean you were as capable as him. Well, not yet at least. You had to get stronger, but it grew to be much more futile and perplexing, rather than enjoyable and accomplishing.

Levi looked at you, confused at the reason why you were off secretly training. So instead, he laid his head down, facing his head to his left, resulting in both of your heads facing away from each other. "How was it?" he asked. 

You fumbled with your thumbs before responding. "No matter how hard I try, I can never seem to be as strong as you Levi" you began, growing slightly upset at how long you've been doing this for...only for it to have been gone to waste during the 57th Exterior Scouting Mission. "Why can't I do it? It's so frustrating" you sighed. 

Levi stared off at the doors of the mess hall, thinking about what you said."You shouldn't feel frustrated" he stated. "The fact that you took your time to wake up at such a shitty hour just to train, says that you want to do something greater." You turned your head around, opening your eyes to face the back of Levi's undercut. "So..." he began, turning around as well, but his eyes widened instead at the realization that you two were so close to each other that you could feel the little breaths each of you took.