Rings (Levi x Reader)

Author's Note: Requested by the lovely @Eggroll47

"Did you really just do that?" you questioned while ducking and running for your life in the dilapidated buildings of the Underground.

Levi, who held your hand in his, attempted to escape the clutches of their pursuers. He took a quick look behind him, gritting his teeth as the brute men came flocking towards the alleyway they had just entered. Looking back at you, despite his small form, he paused, making you halt in your running. "Hold on tight" was the only thing he said before he handed you the very box the men were after and carried you while running away.

Your heart fluttered by the sudden gesture and as heavy footsteps and heavy breathing reached your ears, you closed your eyes, hoping that Levi was able to escape.

When there were no more men tailing behind, Levi had set you down and slumped his back on the wall, trying to catch his breath. While he did so, you looked at the very item that got you both into this mess. "What's with the box anyway, Levi?" you asked while trying to open it. Coughing a bit, he took the box from you and lifted it up, revealing two beautiful rings. You've never laid eyes upon something so shiny, yet so beautiful before. "They're beautiful Levi! Look at that! The center here has such a beautiful color!"

He smiled upon hearing your enthusiasm, and taking one ring out, he gently held your hand, inserting the ring. Your lips parted as he said, "it's for you."

"M-me?" you said, pointing at yourself.

"Tch, who else? There's no one else I'm looking at but you" he scoffed.

The touch of his hand sent shivers to your skin, making you nervous. "But why?"

His little hands grazed over your skin and looked deeply into your eyes. "I know we're only as young as we can be in this world, but I want to keep a promise" he brushed your hair, making you blush. "I want to marry you when we're in a better place, a place I know you deserve to live in. It may not be now, or in a few years, but as long as we have this ring, I'll fight this world for you, to marry you...so, will you marry me?"

Your mouth went agape, but no words escaped as he awaited your answer. Though the next thing he knew, you took the other ring out of the box and placed it into his other hand, accepting him. "Yes!" you exclaimed, placing a kiss on his cheek.

His heart filled with a feeling of warmth as he wrapped his arms around you, truly hoping that he would be able to escape the Undergrounds, and live that life with you he's always dreamed about, and always believed you deserved. He loved you, with everything he had left to offer.

But luck never seemed to find its way to Levi, because a few days later, you were told that you'll be going away somewhere. You didn't know where, but all you knew was that the moment you left, you'd never see him again. And as you were being pulled away by your mother, your eyes watched as Levi ran towards you, attempting to catch up to you with his promise. But, he was too late, you were gone.

-----

Levi stood with his arms crossed, peering over the rows of newly recruited cadets. He saw a few in their early twenties, some almost the same age as him. Overall, they were young and skilled. He scoffed as some made a ruckus, even Hanji was standing next to him, trying to converse with him about her latest experiments, to which he sent a glare her way.

The sound of Erwin's voice rang out, making the cadets and superiors all salute. "Attention! I applaud you all for graduating, but, by far, there are five particular soldiers who have exceeded my expectations" he began. Levi watched on, simply observing the scene before him. While listing the cadets to stand forward, his eyes widened at a particular name being called. "Cadet (Y/N)!"