I'll Be Here (Levi x Reader)

He clutched your scout's patch tightly, something he's kept for a long while now. And for every cadet that has passed, those he failed to protect, as a momentum for keeping their lives in his heart, he tore their patch off, placing them in his drawer by his desk. But as a result of holding onto them, bad memories of those times came to him like a hurricane. They reminded him of how weak he was, how much of a failure he was at protecting his scouts, his men from dying- from you, getting hurt.

He looked at yours, brushing his thumb over it. The memory that filled his mind pained his heart greatly. The way you laid there on the field, covered in blood and bruises as debris was surrounding the air...he shook his head, but despite that, he couldn't let it leave his mind.

He brought the patch to his lips, his eyes closing as the sensation of something warm dragged down his cheeks. He widened his eyes, unable to stop his tears from falling. He couldn't, he shouldn't be crying. As Humanity's Strongest Soldier, he had to live up to the title that was given to him- if not, then who was he?

Tears continued to fall down his pale complexion the longer he looked at your patch, but he didn't want to toss it along with the others in his drawer. He loved you so much, and the pain that was already within his heart grew exponentially.

After a while, his tears dried to his skin and his breathing was although rigid, seemed calmer. He placed the patch on his desk, next to the pile of completed paperwork. He breathed in deeply, releasing it, and stood up. Staggering to the door, he clutched onto the doorknob, and slowly, he turned it. A creak was emitted into the night, the cadets have all long been asleep, leaving their insomniac Corporal alone by himself, consumed by his thoughts.

He left his office, making his way to your door. He hesitantly lifted his hand to your door, unable to knock on it until a few seconds later, his knuckle made contact with the wooden surface. Seconds passed to minutes, and his nervousness grew. Were you alright? Were you hurt? What if you needed his help and he wasn't there? What if-

"Levi?" your voice snapped him out of his daze. He watched as you groggily opened your door, wiping your eyes to see better. "What brings you here Levi?" you whispered.

Your voice, the moment he heard it calmed his tense muscles, his throat as though something tight was formed in it, unwanting to release itself from his body until he heard your gentle tone.

Worry laced your face, concerned for the man as he looked as though he had been crying. You could tell by the way his pale skin glistened in the moonlight. You opened the door wider, as though you were inviting him inside. "Levi?" there was your voice again, so sweet, so gentle..."Is there something wrong? Do you nee-"

You stopped in your track when his arms were suddenly wrapped around your body. He rested his chin on your shoulder as his arms wrapped around your waist, pulling your body close to his. Your chest pressed against his own to the point you felt his beating heart through his skin, touching your own. You were left surprised by the abrupt gesture. Levi, for as long as you've known him for, was never one to hug anyone, no less so closely. However, you didn't dwindle on the thought, understanding that he must be going through something at the moment, and simply wanted someone to be there for him- and so, you'll be that person for him.

You wrapped your arms around him, running your hand up and down his back, even turning to the side to plant a chaste kiss to his temple. Your hand found its way to his hair, running through his disheveled locks, and for a while, you even brushed along his fuzzy undercut. This gesture calmed his breathing and the tears that seemed to have suddenly begun to fall again- much to your lack of acknowledgment as you continued your motions.

It was until you felt as though it might've made Levi uncomfortable for being held for so long, that when you began to pull away, he pulled you back in.  You looked at him, surprised by his further actions. "Levi?"