Craving (Levi x Reader)

"I won't be gone for long" you reassured. "It'll only take a few days, at most two."

"Two days is a day too fucking long" Levi replied back.

At this moment, he didn't want you to go. Stakes were at an all-time high, concerning the large amounts of casualties, there's no guarantee that there would be a high percentage in ever retuning from an expedition- especially not when Erwin would be gambling away his cadets and superiors for a proposal that was sure to fail.

Levi tried to convince the man to let him go with you, but much to the ravenette's dismay, Erwin ordered that Levi not ask again. He wanted Humanity's Strongest Soldier to remain where he was while he took himself and the titan fodders out on a glorious expedition.

As of now, Levi was sulking internally to himself while you were preparing to leave. He sat with his arms crossed, his heart feeling like it had just digested a giant rock- and it began to sink deeper and deeper to the depths of his despair.

At last, you finished prepping your gear, the last was to wear the Wings of Freedom cape. Just as you were about to grab it, another hand took it from you. "Let me."

Levi stood up, wrapping the cape around you as you remained still. Your heart fluttered as your breath was caught in your throat, your hands clutched into fists as you could feel your face getting redder by the second. Luckily, it died down in time his moonlight eyes looked at you. His hands rested near your chest, close to your heart.

He just stood there, with a look of sadness and disappointment. Sensing this immediately, especially from the days following up to this expedition, you gently took his hand, lifting it between your chests, and clutching it with both of your hands.

With a gentle smile, it warmed his heart. "I'll return, Levi. Please take care of yourself. Don't worry so much about me" you said, squeezing his hand with urgency.

He paused, his eyes dancing along the wooden floor before looking back. "Swear it."

"Swear it?" You titled your head, "what do you mean?"

"Tch, swear that you'll return, that you'll come back" he voiced with a scoff.

You laughed lowly, nodding along as his face contorted into a snarl, unamused by your carefree nature when he was displaying his concern for you- laid out like a silver plater. "I promise."

Pleased with your answer, he thought of hugging you. Hold on...he backtracked on this thought. This form of physical touch was never experienced before, especially between the two of you, but oddly enough, he craved it, in this moment, he wanted it. So, so badly did he want to wrap his arms around you, his nose in your hair, his arms around your body, his body pressed close to yours. He wanted to, he yearned to have you know that he cared, he worried for, and he loved, you.

Though, in contrast to what he wanted, as aloof as he has conveyed, he shook the thought away.

You too wanted to hug him, and just before you were going to ask him something, a large knock was at the door. "(Y/N)! We're about to depart! Get your ass out here!" Hanji hollered in excitement.

Momentarily looking at the door, you dropped Levi's hand and gave him a salute. "See you, Levi! I expect some warm tea by the time I come back." You gave him a cheeky smile, to which he gave you a monotone face, making you laugh.

As the door finally closed, Levi gazed at it, where you had left, and for a moment, his hand reached out, reaching towards nothing but the emptiness of the room.

-----

Two days passed like a second, but two days to Levi felt like a fucking eternity. Even Hanji's long banter of her latest report on her titan babies never came close to how Levi felt during your time away. He missed your smile, your laughter, your presence, everything- he simply missed you. He craved your presence, he craved your gentle reassurance, your voice...he was so in love with you.