Nervous

The Yule Ball is coming up, and every student in Hogwarts is looking forward to it. I've only been to the Yule Ball once, last year. It was my first year here, I was a new student, but it was fun nevertheless because I went with my friends. 

This year, I had the hopes of replicating the same amazing time I had last year, but I knew with new drama in our friend group, it would be difficult. 

It's been a week since what happened with Sirius and I, and we haven't spoken about it since. We don't hang out alone anymore, and even when we're with friends, we barely acknowledge each other. 

Thankfully though, James had finally made a move on Lily and asked her out, so that was the new hot topic in our friend group. No one noticed the tension between me and Sirius, and if they did, no one said anything.

Today, we had spent lunch talking about the Yule Ball. My aunt owns a dress shop in Hogsmeade, so we were discussing the types of dresses we were thinking about getting from there on our next day trip. 

The topic of dates had come up, as most people already had someone to go with. 

"Do you have a date yet, Rose?" Marlene asked me curiously.

It felt like everyone in the Great Hall went silent when she asked that. Like all eyes were on me.

"Um, no, not yet." I answered politely.

"Aw," Dorcas said. "well, don't worry. Well someone will definitely ask you soon. I actually heard some Ravenclaw girls in Potions class saying one of them might ask you." 

"And there are tons of other eligible singles around Hogwarts. There's also still 2 weeks until the Ball, so there's no doubt someone will ask you by then." James reassured me. 

He was sitting across the table from me, and he had his arm around Lily. A strange sight, for having been used to a year's worth of pining.

"Well, I would have gone with Lily if you had taken any longer to ask her out." I told James. "But I really am fine with going alone. I mean, worst comes to worst and I feel like a third wheel and leave early."

Even though I said I was completely fine with not having a date, it actually did scare me. I was worried about being one of the only people in school without someone to go with, especially because I'm not sure how many people know about what happened between me, Regulus, and Sirius.

I still had time though. And if what Dorcas said about the Ravenclaw girls was true, they could just get in line. 

The Black brothers were a big if, but still there. And Amos likes me, I know that. I could ask him anytime. That's 3 already.

"Actually, the worst thing that could happen is everyone at school has a date except you and it's super embarrassing for everyone." Peter chimed in. Uncalled for, to say the least. Especially considering whose mouth it came from. 

"And who are you going with?" I retorted.

"No one yet." 

"That's what I thought. Focus on yourself, Wormtail."

The table erupted with laughter, and then the subject changed quickly after that.

~~~~~~~~~~

After lunch ended, I was walking outside with Lily and and Remus to get to Herbology, when Regulus came up to us. He's also in the class with us, so I didn't think much of it when he walked over. But once he caught up to us right outside the door, he asked to talk to me in private.

"Rose, do you mind if we just speak alone beside the greenhouse for a moment?"

"Yeah, sure." I agreed. Then I turned to Lily and Remus and told them I would meet them inside. 

We walked over to the side of the greenhouse, and then stopped once we were out of earshot from any other students.

"What's up?" I asked, still very nervous as I had no clue what he pulled me aside to say.

He took a breath before speaking, like he was ramping up to say something important.

"Last year I fell flat on my face when it came to you, last month I knew something should change, and last week I started over again. So, I wanted to ask you if you would like to be my date to the Yule Ball." 

I stood there stunned. I was too nervous to speak. I wanted to go with him, but I wasn't sure I should. "I, um-" I started.

"We could go as friends, if you'd like. I know things are a bit rocky between you and Sirius."

"Yeah, I'd love to go with you." I smiled.

"Really? I've been wanting to ask you for a while but I was too nervous and so I almost wasn't going to say anything at all."

"Oh, don't get me started." I laughed. "Yeah, I'd love to be your date."

I stood on my tiptoes to do so, but I gave Regulus a kiss on the cheek. He beamed, then we walked back towards the doors of the greenhouse. 

I could see all of our friends, including Amos and Sirius looking at us through the glass, but I didn't care. I finally have a date to the Yule Ball, and it's Regulus Black, so I'm happy and I wasn't going to let anything get me down today.

 I finally have a date to the Yule Ball, and it's Regulus Black, so I'm happy and I wasn't going to let anything get me down today

a/n: So this chapter is a little bit of fluff too, but it's setting up the Yule Ball, which is coming up in a couple chapters.

Also yes I know the Yule Ball isn't every year, I don't care. I'm going off canon a lot in this story, please don't nitpick.

Please vote, comment, and add this story to reading lists/share with friends if you liked it because I'm really trying to get this story out there, and I'll be back with more chapters soon :)