Deja Vu

As usual, the annual Yule Ball was coming up and everyone was starting to talking about it. Regulus hasn't officially asked me yet, though we haven't even officially told people that we're together. 

We were all eating lunch together at the Gryffindor table and talking about the dance.

"Can we all get dresses from your aunt again?" Marlene asked excitedly. 

"Of course! You and Dorcas could even get matching dresses if you'd like! Whatever you want!" I told her.

My aunt has been working on a collection of formal dresses since last winter. I guess the Yule Ball fever has everyone in a chokehold.

"Oh my Merlin!" Dorcas said, her eyes widening in shock. "What if we all did matching outfits with our dates!?"

Everyone agreed and told Lily that it was a great idea. Most of us were already dating, so it wouldn't take too much organization.

"Oh, wait." Lily said, looking at me with a pitied look on her face. "Rose, if you want, we could just all match as a group so no one feels left out."

I was about to respond, but Regulus put his arm over my shoulder and spoke up.

"No way." He said with a charming smile. "She's with me."

I smiled and shrugged. "I'm with him." I said. 

Everyone's eyes widened, since most of them were only learning about Regulus and I for the first time then, and the ones who did know had never seen us as a public thing before. 

After the initial moment of shock, everyone pretended not to notice that anything happened. 

"So we can do the matching thing." Dorcas said. "That would just leave Peter alone."

"He could just go with Amos." I joked. "Unless he can find someone else."

"I'll find someone." Peter said, though everyone doubted it.

"Alright, Prince Charming." Lily said. "Just hurry up, the Yule Ball is in less than two weeks, and we have to buy our outfits this weekend."

The reference to a muggle character confused half of the group, and the only reason I knew about it was from Muggle Studies class and then Lily telling me about some muggle popular culture.

"Perfect." Marlene said with a smile. "So we can all head down to Rose's aunt's store on the weekend, and we can coordinate once we're there." 

We all agreed, and continued to chat for a minute, then we realized what time it was. There were only about 10 minutes until our lunch break was over, so the people who had far classes needed to start heading out right then.

That included Peter and Regulus, who had to get to their Study of Ancient Runes class. 

The rest of us said goodbye to them, and Regulus kissed me on the cheek as he stood up. Again, all of my friends looked shocked, but pretended not to notice anything. 

As soon as he walked out of the Great Hall, however, things changed. Lily and James immediately pounced on me with no prior knowledge about Regulus and I, and Marlene asking when we decided to go public.

Before I got a chance to answer any of them, Sirius asked "So you're dating Regulus now?" in a monotone way that changed the feel of the whole conversation.

"Yeah, uh, we're dating now." I told him.

"Isn't that nice." He said, his tone the opposite of his words.

"Yes." I told him. "Is there something wrong with it?"

"You and I dated, and now you're with my brother."

Remus stepped in, trying to stop anything from escalating. "Sirius, stop. It's fine" He said.

"No, I mean, it's not fine, right?" Sirius said. "How long have you been together? Because I certainly doubt that's new."

"It started at the beginning of this school year. But it was a complicated start." I said.

"How complicated? Like you called him my name? Because let's be honest, I know you're seeing some of me in him."

"I've got to go to class." I excused myself to the rest of our friend group.

Sirius stood up as well when I started to walk away.

"We have History of Magic together. I'll walk you down."

He clearly wasn't finished what he was saying, even though that was the exact thing I was trying to escape.

"I'd rather you didn't." I told him, walking quickly out the door of the Great Hall.

"Too late." He said, matching my pace. "Do you trade jackets with him? I bet you watch him play Quidditch with hearts in your eyes. Same as you did with me."

"I'm not answering any of these questions." I said firmly.

"Do you get déjà vu when he's with you?"

"Shut up!" I shouted, coming to a stop in the middle of the hallway. "Just fucking stop it!"

He stopped as well, but didn't do anything in response other than his angry frown turning more into a neutral look.

"I understood when you and Remus got together two weeks after you and I dated." I reminded him. "Why can't you just be happy for me the same way I am with you two?"

"That's completely different." He rolled his eyes.

"Is it?" I asked. "Because you live with James and you barely even look at Regulus, so if anything, yours is worse. So either leave me alone, or just try to be happy for us, please."

He sighed, then looked down at me.

"I'm sorry." He said in a whispered tone.

I thanked him, and he continued with his apology.

"It's just new, and I just felt a tinge of jealousy and freaked out."

"A tinge?" I laughed.

"A lot. For the both of you."

"But you're happy with Remus though, right?" I asked him, concerned there was something I didn't know about.

"Yes, of course. And now I'm happy for you and my brother." He confirmed.

"Well, thank you. I appreciate that. And I accept your apology."

We continued walking to class, then about half a hallway later, Sirius looked over at me and asked "But, be honest, how many times have you called him my name?"

"None." I said, giving him a playful punch in the arm. "You're such an egoist."

a/n: wow I bet I got you, thinking Sirius and Rose were gonna end up on bad terms and everything

a/n: wow I bet I got you, thinking Sirius and Rose were gonna end up on bad terms and everything. Jk tho they're great and they're besties again.

Also sorry for not posting when I said I would, the internet was down for like 2 days so I couldn't do anything.