It's Nice To Have A Friend

The school bell rings at the end of the day, and Divination class was dismissed. Marlene and I always sit together in this class, and we almost always walk together after the end of the day. It's practically a tradition at this point.

The ground outside was covered in snow, and it was freezing. I lost a glove, I think I may have left it at home and forgotten it when I packed my stuff to come back to school. But it was alright, Marlene gave me one of hers.

"Wanna hang out? Maybe in the Astronomy tower?" Marlene asked, a friendly smile plastered on her face.

"Yeah, sounds like fun." I said.

We made our way over to the Astronomy Tower, both rushing a bit so we could get somewhere a little safer from the cold.

We climbed up to the top, both of us out of breath by the end. It's a strange feeling, freezing yet out of breath, panting for air. But, my life lately has been full of strange feelings, so I was sure it would blend in soon anyways.

The sky was an adorable shade of light pink. The sun seems to set as soon as it comes up right now, but the view from up here made it better.

"Want to play 20 questions? Just for fun. And catching up, I guess." Marlene said, snapping me away from staring at the sky.

"Uh, yeah." I told her. "You go first."

She hesitated to think of a question, but only for a split second. She ended up asking one of the most basic questions ever for this game.

"Do you have a crush on anyone?"

The question made me laugh, as I thought it was obvious that Sirius and I were together. Then I realized that we hadn't actually told anyone, other than me telling Regulus at the train station.

"Sirius and I are together." I finally confirmed.

"What? Since when? Like the same thing from before break or did you start something new when he was living with you?"

"It's something new. Something different, I guess. I don't think we're really keeping it a secret like last time."

"Well it was clearly a secret from me." Marlene joked. "But seriously, that's so great, Rose."

"Thanks."

I paused, trying to think of a question I could ask her.

"You know, if you had told me last year that I would be dating one person in our friend group, you would have been my first guess." I told Marlene.

"I've always known I would date Dorcas." She said, laughing at her own comment. "She's like, the only person I've been interested in. Well, except-"

Marlene cut herself off, her eyes wide like she just revealed a gigantic secret.

"Don't be mad, Rose." She said, causing a surge of panic to come over me.

"What is it?"

"This was a while ago, and it's totally done with. I forgot it even happened until now, honestly." She lowered her head, presumably with guilt over what she was about to tell me. "A few years ago, I had a crush on Sirius. And then we played spin the bottle, a more year 3 friendly version of the game we all played a few months ago, and him and I kissed. I'm really sorry for not telling you before."

"Is that it?" I said.

"You're not mad?" She asked, looking back up at me.

"Why would I be mad? It was a long time ago, and obviously you're over it, so it's fine. You're like my best friend, I wouldn't be mad over something like that."

"Thank you." She said, coming closer to me arms open.

I hugged her tightly, partially to make her feel better and partially for the warmth we were both giving off in the freezing cold temperatures. After the hug, we finished the game, though we stayed away from any more questions to do with relationships.

I've always enjoyed Marlene's company. I don't know how to describe it, but being with Marlene felt like home. It's nice to have a friend.

a/n: Another chapter done, this one is definitely filler/fluff and definitely shorter than most chapters, but that's okay

a/n: Another chapter done, this one is definitely filler/fluff and definitely shorter than most chapters, but that's okay. I don't really know what y'all like (length wise, and fluff vs plot wise), but the story has had a lot of fluff so far. But, this is probably the last soft chapter that you're getting for a while, because I have a lot of angsty/sad chapters planned for after this one.

Don't forget to vote and comment if you want, and I'll see y'all soon :)