Exile

As 2 AM approached, I snuck down the halls of the school, trying not to get caught out this late. I've been sneaking out late at night quite a bit recently, and it's all to hang out with Regulus Black in secret. 

When I got to my dorm room, I held my ear up to the door, listening for any chatter or other signs of the girls being awake. I couldn't hear anything, so I slowly opened the door, cracking the door just open enough so I could sneak inside without letting any light from the hallway follow me inside. 

I closed the door behind me. I tried shutting it as quietly as possible, but the heavy wooden door still made a thud as it closed. I shut my eyes tightly and cringed, hoping the noise hadn't woken any of the other girls up. I turned around slowly, but I was startled by a voice before I could even start walking to my bed.

"How was your date?" Marlene asked, sitting on her bed. 

"Merlin, don't do that. You scared the hell out of me." I said, catching my breath.

"Sorry." She laughed. "But really, how was your date?" 

"It wasn't a date." I said quietly, trying not to wake Lily and Dorcas.

"You were out all night. With Regulus. What else would you call that?"

"It's not a date because we're not dating. It's just two people hanging out together."

She arched her eyebrow at my response. 

"Two people who like each other hanging out all the time? Oh how I wish there was a term for that" She said sarcastically. "That's just dating, Rose."

I crawled into my bed, exhausted from both the time I spent with Regulus and all the questions from Marlene.

"Why does it matter what we're doing?" I asked.

"It doesn't really. It just matters how you feel about each other."

I thought that was ridiculous. We both knew how we felt about each other, and I think we've both felt this way for a long time.

"We like each other. Of course we do."

"Then why won't you date? Is it that one of you wants to date but the other doesn't want to 'label it'?"

"Dating is scary." I admitted. "Hanging out the way we do isn't."

"It's still scary." She told me. "I'll admit it, I'm scared for you."

"And why would that be?" I asked her.

She let out a sigh into her pillow. "You in a clandestine relationship with one of the Black Brothers. I think I've seen this film before, and I didn't like the ending."

"It's different this time." I told her. "I can feel it."

"That's what they all say, love." She nodded in a pitying way. "A lot of people say that when they're being used."

I rolled my eyes. She was wrong, I'm not being used. At least I don't think I am. 

"That's not true." I said. "I feel like I like him in a way that I never felt with Ash or with Sirius. I really, truly do like Regulus. We're good together."

She smiled at me. But not a real smile, it was the kind that you shoot to distant friends in the hallways at school. She smiled at me like she felt bad for me. She smiled at me like she was sorry for something she has nothing to do with.

"Well, then that's good. But I still want you to be careful, alright?" She said. 

"Fine." I told her. "Sure, I'll be careful." 

Marlene and I were both satisfied, but nothing more. Then we laid down and went to bed. Or, at least Marlene went to bed. I had about a million thoughts running through my head that had never been there before.

a/n: Sorry again for the late post, I'm really bad at following schedules, especially ones I set for myself

a/n: Sorry again for the late post, I'm really bad at following schedules, especially ones I set for myself. But, I am writing both of my stories a lot, and I hope to follow my schedule more closely! See you soon :)