The Story

"Harry! Where are you? You have to come out now!" I shouted.

I had to send my godson to bed, but he hadn't stopped hiding from when we were playing around just beforehand.

"Stop hiding, it's bedtime now!" I said, looking for him all around the house. 

I moved a curtain to the side, thinking that's where he was hiding. 

"Harry, come on!" I shouted. "We have plans tomorrow and you have to go to bed!"

I turned around, feeling equally playful and frustrated, and found the 9 year old boy standing behind me with a giant smile on his face.

"I'm right here, Aunt Rose." He laughed.

"Yes, you are." I said, catching my breath after he startled me. "Now let's get you ready for bed."

I started gently pushing Harry up to his bedroom so that he could get ready to go to sleep. I let him go to his room alone so he could get changed into his pyjamas.

I waited outside of his room for a few minutes, until he opened the door and walked out wearing a matching set of black pyjamas.

"Okay, Aunt Rose, I'm ready." He said.

"Oh, you look so adorable!" I beamed. "Alright, let's get you tucked in."

We walked over to his bed, and he hopped up and laid down. I pulled the blanket up to his chest and tucked him in tightly.

"Can you tell me that story again?" Harry asked me.

I wanted to say no, since Harry and I had plans for tomorrow. But he was flashing me a cheeky smile and I felt like I had to say yes.

"Alright, fine." I sighed. "I'll tell the story really quickly and then you have to promise you'll go right to sleep."

"I promise." He said.

"Okay, I'll tell the story. The one about a boy and a girl." I started. "It's kind of short, kind of boring, but the end is a whirl."

"That's my mum and dad." Harry pointed out. 

He knew from the first sentence. I've been telling him this story for the 7 years I've been taking care of him. 

"Yes, it is." I smiled. "But no interruptions, or I'll have to just leave and make you go to bed without a story."

"Sorry." He said.

"So, your parents were perfect for each other. Lily was my first friend at Hogwarts, and she was a lot like me. James was proud and athletic and he was so fun. He was always there to make a joke when you were sad or prank whoever hurt you."

I paused for a moment, as I always do at this part when I tell the story. I thought about all the fun we used to have. We would always be together, all of us. And now it was gone. 

"And James was in love with Lily, he was in love with her since they were kids." I continued. "Lily didn't like him back though, or she wouldn't admit anything, until year six. We always told them to confess their feelings to each other, but it took them years to do it. Actually, confessing our feelings was a big problem within our friend group."

I thought about all the times we were too afraid to confess our feelings to each other, and then the other times when we actually did, and it caused a stir. 

"But once they did start dating, oh boy, they were just inseperable. They loved each other so much, and they loved each other until the day they died." 

I could feel tears welling up in my eyes, but I didn't want to cry, so I held them back for now. 

"And they loved you so much too. That's why we're going to see their graves tomorrow, because it's the anniversary of their death." I told him. 

I was about to stand up and say goodnight to Harry, when he stopped me and asked for another part of the story. 

"That was just one part." He said. "I just want to hear one more. Please."

Again, I wanted to say no, but I just couldn't. 

"I don't know why you love these little stories so much, but here we go." I said, sitting back down next to Harry. "I'll tell the one about a boy and a boy. They loved you so much as well." 

"Sirius and Remus!" He corrected excitedly.

"Yes, you remembered." I grinned. "They were best friends with each other, but always wished they were more. They always loved one another, but were too scared to admit it for a long time. And they got together, but their story is even shorter than the one of your parents."

"But, why did no one get to have a happy ending?" Harry asked me.

"Well, that's not true. All endings are happy eventually, I think. That's how the world works. It's just that my friends and I all had short stories, but that doesn't necessarily make them sad. We were all super close. We've all lived lives full of friendship, family, and fun."

I tucked the boy in one last time, and gave him a goodnight kiss on the forehead. 

"And you'll get to experience all that magic and friendship and fun when you go to Hogwarts in a few years. Just wait and see."

I took off his glasses, the same ones that James used to wear, and placed them on his nightstand. 

"Alright, now you go to sleep, boy." I said walking backwards towards the door. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Aunt Rose."

a/n: So there's the final chapter for this story

a/n: So there's the final chapter for this story. It's like a prologue ig but it's very vague about what happened in the last year of school and then the years after Hogwarts so that everyone is satisfied about the ending. Or at least, I hope everyone is satisfied. 

I'm satisfied with the ending (mostly because I don't have to write this anymore), so now I'm going to start writing a new story that's not a fanfic. I'll post about it as an announcement, so be on the lookout for that! I hope you all liked this story, and I hope you come back for my future stuff as well!