Lush Life

I sat down next to Marlene, who had laid down a blanket on the grass and was shuffling a deck of tarot cards as I walked over. 

"Hey." She greeted me as I got comfortable. 

"Hey, I'm sorry I'm late, I was just hanging out in the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom and I forgot I had promised to study with you." I explained. 

"Oh, don't worry about it. I just really need to practice some Divination stuff before our next test." 

Marlene is always so sweet and forgiving, I love her. Honestly, I really believe that everyone needs a friend like her. 

"So, Cartomancy first?" I presumed.

"Yeah, I want to try and read your future." She smiled. 

Marlene gave the deck of cards one last quick shuffle, and then laid them out in front of me. 

"Pick three." She instructed

I picked three cards randomly, but didn't look at them. 

"Now lay them out, facing up, one at a time." Marlene said. "Do it in whatever order feels natural to you."

I placed the first card I picked up down on the blanket, facing up. 

"Knight of cups." We both said at the same time. 

"Ooh, romantic." Marlene winked at me. 

"Alright, next card." I said, trying to change the topic of conversation. 

"No way. You're definitely going to find someone soon. A new conquest could be around every corner."

"Or just around that corner." I mumbled.

"What?"

"Nothing, don't worry."

"Well, now I'm extra intrigued, what did you say? I know I heard something about a new conquest."

"I almost kissed Regulus." I confessed. 

"You what!? When?"

"Just a few minutes ago. In the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. We were about to kiss, I think, and then Lily opened the door. Nothing really happened, though." 

I placed down a second card. 

"Page of cups." We said again at the same time. 

"Which one is that?" Marlene asked after a second of trying to remember. "I forgot what it means upright."

"Exploration, freedom, indpendance, excitement." I reminded her.

Her eyes widened and she let out an excited gasp. She threw her hand over her mouth in glee but it didn't do much. She was already freaking out too much to be contained. 

"Babe!" She said excitedly. "That's insane! Something's definitely going to happen this summer, I know it! You'll be living all your days as if they were your last. Maybe Regulus can keep you company over the summer."

"I already have company."

Fuck. I wasn't going to tell anyone else yet. I still haven't even told Sirius to make sure he has somewhere to stay. Too late, though. I guess I would have to explain it all to Marlene too. 

"What do you mean? Please don't tell me you mean your aunt." She said. 

"I'm going back home for the summer. I'm going to stay with some friends back in Massachusetts. I haven't told anyone except Regulus though, so please don't say anything to anyone else."

"I won't, don't worry." She smiled. "So maybe that just means the cards are talking about after the summer." 

I placed down the last card next to the others. We both recognized it as soon as we saw it. 

"The moon." We said. 

"Reversed." I pointed out. "That's like confusion and misinterpretation. It's not a good sign."

"You have to have some bad in order to have good. It's all about balance. Your other two cards were good. So overall, the cards are good."  

"I guess." I muttered.

"And, the last one doesn't sound like something that can happen to you on vacation, so you don't have to worry about your trip being ruined."

"Yeah, that's true." I said, partially relieved.

"Are you actually leaving us, though?"

"For two months!"

"I'm just kidding." Marlene laughed. "But seriously, you have to promise to write while you're away."

I smiled and cleaned up the tarot cards off the blanket.

"I promise to write." I said with a smile.

a/n: Sorry about how long it took for this chapter, and for the fact that it's not really like the song lyrics, but I couldn't find a song with lyrics that matched so I just went with the playful vibe I guess

Anyways, I hope you liked this chapter, and I'll try to update Symphony and Philophobia soon, but I might be a little busy with school.