Could Have Been Me

I woke up to Lily and Marlene shaking me super early this morning. I had fallen asleep in my Yule Ball dress last night because I just wasn't in the mood to take it off.

"Ugh, what?" I said groggily.

"Come on, we only have you for a few more hours!" Lily said.

"We've got to get to breakfast early and then we can hang out before you leave." Marlene chimed in.

"Okay, fine, I'll get up." I said with a stretch as I sat up straight.

~~~~~~~~~~

Once I got ready, we made our way down to the Great Hall for breakfast. The Marauders were already sitting at the Gryffindor table. I wasn't expecting that, since Remus is the only one of them to ever wake up early.

Regulus wasn't here, and I couldn't decide how I felt about that. On one hand, he's one of my best friends, and of course I should want him here to say goodbye. But on the other hand, after what happened last night, maybe avoidance would be best for now.

"Nice of you ladies to join us." James said, reminding me of my Aunt Hazel.

She always wakes up far earlier than me and makes a point of letting me know.

"Very funny." Marlene told him.

"I'm surprised you four aren't hungover right now." I pointed out.

"We were," Sirius said. "Episkey is a life-saver."

"It really is, so we can all hang out with you before you go." Remus beamed.

"Now hurry up and eat." James instructed. "We're going to Black Lake once you lot have finished."

"But, I only have what I'm wearing. All my stuff is packed up." I said, pointing to my jeans and my sweater.

"Who cares?" Marlene said with a playful smile on her face.

I only had a bowl of fruit salad as my breakfast. I couldn't seem to work up an appetite, as I was just full of anxiety.

"Alright, I'm ready to go." I announced right after I shoved the last piece of apple into my mouth.

"Great, let's go!" Marlene shouted just a little too loudly for the Great Hall at 7 in the morning on a Sunday.

~~~~~~~~~~

"So are we just going to walk around in the snow?" I asked, noticing there wasn't really anything to do outside.

"Do you need more? It was the Yule Ball last night, we figured that would be enough." James said.

"No, no, this is perfect. Thank you guys." I fell backwards into the snow, leaving behind a print of my body that stood a foot and a half above the ground. I was freezing, the warmest thing I had on was a sweater my aunt had knitted for me last year, but I didn't care. "I really do need a day of relaxation right now."

"Are you nervous?" Lily asked.

I sat up, and everyone else cleared the snow from behind them and sat down too.

"Super nervous. And I'm scared all the time." I admitted.

"Really?" Peter chimed in.