Sparks

It was just a few days into winter break, and I was in my room. I had spent the better part of the night reading a muggle book I found on the train called The Picture of Dorian Gray, when something interrupted me.

I heard what sounded like pebbles against my window, which was odd, since it's 10pm and my room is on the 2nd floor of a secluded mansion.

I was hesitant to get up and see what it was, but I decided to go against my gut feeling and look.

I put my book down on my nightstand, and walked over to see what the noise was. I opened my window to find Sirius standing out in the snow, looking scared and desperate.

"Sirius?" I asked.

"I didn't know where else to go." He told me.

I could hear the pain in his voice, and I could see the tears in his eyes, even from 2 floors above. I wasn't sure what had happened to him, but I was going to help him no matter what.

"Shit, just hold on." I said. "I'll unlock the door."

My aunt had already gone to bed, and probably had fallen asleep at least an hour before this, so I wasn't worried about having to explain anything right then.

I ran down the hallway to the stairs and rushed all the way to the front door. I unlocked the door and pulled him into the house. It was freezing outside, Sirius was shaking and he was cold to the touch. I pulled the blanket from off of the couch and offered it to him, which he accepted almost immediately.

"What happened to you?"

"I ran away, and I couldn't go to Hogwarts, so I came here." He explained. "I saw you in your room with the light on, so I knew which house was yours."

This mansion was a part of a secluded neighborhood, comprised of several old mansions, all belonging to magic families. But most of the mansions here have been abandoned for years, because the families they belong to have either moved or died out.

"You can stay here for as long as you need." I assured him.

"Thank you, Rose." He said, giving me a hug.

Once he let go, I offered him something to eat, which he declined, then I locked the front door again and walked back over to him.

"Come on," I said. "I'll get you some clothes you can change into."

Even though my aunt and I are the only ones living here right now, almost every closet in this house is filled to the brim with clothes. All of them either something Aunt Hazel made, or belonging to some relative of ours. It wouldn't be hard to find something for Sirius to wear.

I know even my room held some clothes that Aunt Hazel had made while I was at school, so I went there first.

"Here, try this on." I said, handing him an outfit close to his size from the top shelf of my closet.

I turned around while he changed, also finding myself something to wear to sleep. I usually sleep in my underwear when I'm at home, but I went to find myself a set of pyjamas for tonight.

I found a red silk set, comprised of a t-shirt and shorts, in the closet. They were mine, but I haven't worn them in months since I left them here when I packed for school.

I brought them behind the privacy screen in the corner of my room and began to change out of my clothes.

"So what happened?" I asked Sirius as I buttoned up my pyjama shirt.

"I ran away." He said.

"You already told me that. You know what I mean."

"And you know I don't want to talk about it." He told me.