Chapter 9

Zhan stirred in his sleep and let out a groan when the noise from his alarm clock calling him to wake up. His hand rummaged around the side table to find the clock. He killed the noise that interrupting his sleep. He was still damn sleepy after the restless night because of the incident in the shop and the nightmare he had last night.

"Five more minutes..." he mumbled.

He switched the clock off and went back to sleep. He looked happier and peaceful in his sleep. But only for a while, when he realized that the curtain looks brighter. He opened his eyes slowly and squinted to look at the clock. And promptly he widened his eyes.

"Shit!!" he cursed and jumped immediately from the bed.

He ran to the bathroom and had a wash up. He changed his sleeping attire into his 7eleven uniform, then he ran out of the room, grabbed the scooter's key and jumped out of the house.

He worked in 7eleven which means it has to open by 7 in the morning. And it was 7. And he still at home, struggled with his scooter which suddenly nags him. It didn't want to work.

"Damn me!" Zhan screamed after he did so much effort to bring the scooter's engine to life but failed.

Finally, he ran to the street, decided to catch a bus to go to the shop. 

He almost bumped by a car while crossing the complex's road that leads him to the highway. The screeching sound from the car's tire deafening the ears. People who were near the area gasped and screamed, some cursing the driver. Zhan himself was in shocked, realizing that he was almost hit by a car. He turned to the car and stunned.

The driver rolled down the cAr's window and popping his head out through it.

"Hey! Young man!"the man shouted. 

"Mr. Zhu..." Zhan nodded at the man.

The man was Mr. Zhu. He's a anew resident in the neighborhood. His age was about half a century. He moved in about three months ago to the estate. Zhan knew him and sometimes had some convo with him when they accidentally bump into each other.

"Are you going to work?" the man shouted again. "Come on in! I'll send you to your workplace!"

Zhan felt awkward. He was late to work, but he didn't wish the man will send him over. If he happened to have a convo with him when they're met. it was because he is being a polite boy. Zhan often declined the man's invitation to go into his house. Don't know why, Zhan felt strange and alert with the old man's kindness.

"What are you waiting for? Come on in! Or do you want your Boss sacks you!" the man chuckled.

Zhan smiled reluctantly. He didn't want to sit in the same car, side by side by the man that he was think strange. But if he didn't accept his offer, he might even later to come to his work place. His manager might hit him with another mistake for him to be paid off.

So, finally Zhan decided to accept Mr. Zhu's offer.  He climbed in the car on the passenger seat beside Mr. Zhu. Mr. Zhu smiled. He pulled the gear and started to move the car, gliding on the road.

"So, how's your work?" Asked Mr. Zhu, started the conversation.

"Umm.... Last night there is a shoplifter...!" Replied Zhan.

"Oh? Really? Did they take anything?" Asked Mr. Zhu again, faking the surprise expression.

"No. Because my friend came and get rid of him...!" Replied Zhan.

"Your friend? The mechanic?" Guessed Mr. Zhu.

Zhan glanced at Mr. Zhu. This man knows too much about him. He even know his friend while Zhan thought he never introduced Zhuo Cheng to him.