11 - Change of plans

Kyda

"Say yes, Kyda," Ibhan said. He held my hand tightly in his and I looked down at how well they fit. He had never voluntarily held on to me this way. An ache in my body felt alleviated as I looked back at him. He was nervous, but watching my intently, waiting.

"Yes," I whispered and he stepped closer.

"Come on, wolf, say it like you mean it," he said, a small smile playing on his lips. I laughed as my mind was finally soothed that he was serious.

"Yes, Ibhan, yes," I said with more force, "I'll go with you."

"I'm glad," he said, his expression was soft and I realised that this was probably the happiest I had seen him since I found him.

"I have to go home first," I said and he hesitated, but nodded. I turned and saw that the wolves I had been with were slowly retreating. They were whispering amongst themselves, low enough that even I couldn't hear them, none of them meeting my eyes. I shook off the unsettling feeling that gave me and started walking back home. I didn't let go of Ibhan's hand, and he also didn't complain, and I accepted the small victory. If he was willing to show me his life, maybe this working out would be more than a wish or a dream. I finally let go of him as we reached home and I walked up to my room. He trailed behind and leant against the door frame as I flung open my wardrobe.

"How long are we going for?" I asked as I eyed my various duffle bags.

"Oh, I have no idea," Ibhan said, scratching at the back of his neck.

"Okay," I said with a small smile. I didn't want to freak him out and make him change his mind, so I got a mid sized bag that could hold about 3 outfits in it.

"Kyda!" Kalina called as the front door slammed open.

"Bedroom!" I called back. Ibhan stepped in and out of the way as my sister came barrelling up the stairs, 3 pups in her arms that she promptly dumped onto the bed.

"I came as soon as I heard, you're going to Ravenvein?" She asked, looking between Ibhan and I.

"Yeah, I am," I said, grabbing her shoulders and forcing her to slow down. "Ibhan wants to show me around." She gave me a loaded look. Confusion, panic, and relief all passed between us, her feelings speaking volumes as she studied me.

"Our parents are gonna freak out," she said and I froze.

"Oh, shit."

"Oh, shit, indeed," said another voice. I turned to see my father had silently appeared at door to my room; and I could sense my mother not far behind his large frame. I looked over to Ibhan who had inched closer to the bed, seemingly concerned with how close the pups were to the edge. At the sound of my father's voice he turned and stood up straighter. 

"Dad, I want to go to Ravenvein with Ibhan," I said, letting go of Kalina and walking towards him.

"Ravenvein is uncharted territory," he said in a measured tone.

"I know, dad, but--"

"I wouldn't let her wander off on her own," Ibhan said, suddenly, "I know what she's like."

"Look, warlock, I know her better than you," he said and my jaw almost dropped. Never had my father spoke to someone that way.

"Dad, I can take care of myself," I argued and he turned to me.

"Kyda, you saw what his magic can do. You saw what he did to Matthew, you saw the way the whole world went dark," he said.

"He was defending himself," I said incredulously.