15 - Sea Legs are a Commodity

Ibhan

The first day aboard the ship had passed by rather uneventfully. The sea was calm this close to the main land, and the waters relatively free of many of the more dangerous sea creatures. I had found myself an empty bed and immediately claimed it. I was joined shortly after by a burly young man who silently took the top bunk. We stayed in our bunks for maybe an hour or so before the ship really started to take off.

"Joseph," he said gruffly, as he landed lightly on his feet and held out a hand to me. I closed my spell book and shook his hand, his skin coarse against mine.

"Ibhan," I said and he nodded.

"Going home?" he asked and I nodded.

"And you?" I asked, out of politeness rather than curiosity.

"Its more of a... business trip," he said, scratching the back of his head. He left soon after, heading up the stairs to the deck. I followed suit, deciding to make sure I still had my sea legs.

The first night was fast approaching, having left the harbour after noon. I sighed and leant over the side of the ship, watching the waves splash against the barnacle spotted hull. Colourful scales glittered under the surface of the water and I stepped away from the railing. I would not be inviting any more trouble into my life than I already had. I passed the rest of the evening hanging around with the crew, playing cards and occasionally helping out as we sailed along.

After the evening grub had been distributed I headed back down to my room to see Joseph ushering another man, one who was clearly drunk, out of the room.

"Go on, get! Rooms occupied," he huffed as he pushed the man out. He caught my eye as he turned back into the room and nodded in greeting.

"Thanks," I said as I followed him in.

"Do you ever put that bag down?" he asked, eyeing my satchel. My grip on it tightened for a moment as I sat on one of the small stools in the room.

"No, why do you ask?" I needed to tread carefully. This trip had already cost me too much, I would not lose anything else.

"Will you hold on to this for me? Just until we reach the port at Ravenvein," he said, pulling out a small envelope from his back pocket. I was taken by surprise but held out my hand for the envelope. The paper was worn and slightly stained with age, crinkled but neatly folded. I opened up my satchel and tucked the envelope into a small side pocket.

"Are those flowers?" he asked, his turn to be taken aback.

"Mhm," I secured the buckles on the bag once more, "for my studies," I said and he nodded before climbing back up into his bunk. I stretched my legs before getting into bed myself and letting the ship sway me to sleep.

The second day also passed in a blur of salty sea sprays and increasingly absurd card games with fewer and fewer rules. I didn't mind it though. Yes the crew were loud and always excited, but they didn't ask questions. Like Kyda. I huffed and rolled back my shoulders, shaking off the heavy feeling that settled on my chest whenever I thought about her. It was too late now. By the evening, Ravenvein would be on the horizon, and then under my feet by nightfall.

Approaching Ravenvein, especially by sea, was not for the faint hearted, but making this trip a few times had desensitised me to it a bit. So, when the ship began to sway a little harder, and the crew got a bit more serious, I was ready. I looked ahead and I could already see the swirling mass of clouds in the sky. Soon the ship would feel the spiralling pull of the whirlpools. Ravenvein was guarded by an armada of natural defences, each one a deterrent and a warning to all those who approached; and for those who survived, they thought twice before leaving again so quickly.