34 - No Rest for the Vengeful

Ibhans POV

Sleep was an impossibility that night. I had given Damien and Eliza a guest bedroom after they insisted they stay the night to help me out once more in the morning. My head swam with ridiculous theories and horrific flashbacks to the way it had felt to be in Kyda's mind. The pain had taken time to fade from my own body, and I couldn't help but think of how much worse it was for her. It wasn't something she could just step out of.

When I did eventually sleep, I woke up with a start, dreams of Kyda being attacked plaguing my mind. I blinked hard, as images of a dark room flashed before me. Damien said it was hard to stop falling in and out of immature bonds like the one I had made, and I had a feeling it would only get worse. I felt dizzy as I stood, and I wandered if it was withdrawal from Kyda or pain from Kyda. I took a few deep breaths before I headed down the stairs, using every available surface for support. Feathers flitted around in concern, rubbing up against my arm at every chance he could, trying to lift my spirits.

It wasn't long before Eliza and Damien woke up and joined me downstairs where I nursed a dandelion root coffee. Damien wrinkled his nose at the smell, but Eliza gladly helped herself to the caffeinated drink.

"You look terrible," she commented, and I grunted in reply as I took a long sip of my coffee.

"I know it was hard, but we have to do it at least once again," Damien said, rummaging through a cupboard for some food. I had only managed to look outside of Kyda's cell for a moment yesterday, and the isolated nature of Ravenvein architecture meant I didn't get a good look at many landmarks that I could have used to locate the cells. So, I would have to go again.

"I'm ready," I said, rolling my shoulders back a little. I had left my robe off as I sweated right through it the night before, and I watched as shadow marks rippled briefly over my skin like water before fading away, leaving a chill in their wake.

"Great," Eliza said, grabbing a pen and paper, "I want you to reach back out to her, and look around carefully and describe everything. I'll write it down and we can try and locate her after that," she said, clicking the pen a few times. I nodded and looked to Damien.

"If its bad, I've got you," he said and I was grateful the large man was sitting beside me as I closed my eyes. I felt a burn in my chest as I thought of Kyda, tugging on her memories like a life line. Eventually, I found my way back to the dull green of her aura, though today it was tinged red. I felt the pain before I even reached her, my head immediately feeling heavy, breath fast and short.

In the back of my mind I felt Damien pull me back in my chair, but I was focused on the window. I stood on the thin excuse of a bed and peered outside. I described the buildings to Eliza as I looked around.

"There's a few black willow trees about 100 metres from here, and I can see a town, looks like a market town. It smells like," I swallowed as I tried to ignore the metallic smell of Kyda's blood, "it smells like a bonfire outside."

My chest felt constricted and I groaned as my stomach turned, limbs turning to lead the longer I stayed in Kyda's head. I saw her move, just a twitch of her hand, but an excruciating pain shot through her, and me by extension.

"I'm on my way, wolf," I said before I pulled out of the bond, but not before the flash of an insignia caught my eye as someone entered the cell block. I gasped for air, a white knuckle grip on Damien's arm. As soon as I caught my breath, I stood up, but Damien pulled me back into my seat.

"Where are you going?" Damien asked.

"I know where she is," I hissed, pushing his arm off of me, but the wolf was annoyingly strong.