31- feeling a little faint

Kydas POV

I came to in my cell, the hard floor pressing into my body. I groaned, the familiar weight of Mit's hand on my head the only thing that provided me with comfort. My body ached, and my brain was foggy. Not for the first time, I wondered if the wolfsbane or the mate bond would kill me first. Which one gave me more pain? Which one would claim my life?

"Oh, you're awake," Mit said as I opened my eyes. "Don't move, sugar, you're in a terrible state," Mit said, the tremor in their voice prominent.

"Mit?" I said, my voice barely louder than a whisper.

"I'm here," they said, fingers running over my scalp.

"I can't see you," I said, my body too heavy to turn.

"It's okay, I can't see you either," they said with a little laugh. I tried to crack a smile, but my lips were dry, and I was suddenly aware of the blood caked on them.

"How long have I been out for?" I asked and Mit sighed.

"Two days this time." I groaned and brang my fingers to my mouth, trying to rub away the dried blood. "Your lips kept cracking," Mit said, "Amotan came by and cleaned them on the first day, but he hasn't been back for any meals since, they've been sending it in through other guards so there was nothing I could do."

"It's okay," I said, reaching my hand up a little further to take Mit's hand in my own, "thank you for keeping my sound asleep," I said as I squeezed Mit's hand.

Letting go, I slowly and painfully rolled over, face planted straight on the floor. I lifted myself inch by inch off the ground until I was finally sitting up. I felt like I was filled with liquid so dense I could barely pull in a deep breath. I laid my head back against the bunk of my bed, already sweating from the effort of moving.

"You okay, sugar?" Mit asked after a few moments of just my laboured breathing filling the space between us.

"Mhm," I took in a deep breath, "I think I need some food," my stomach turned, having not been given the opportunity to consume any slop for two days.

"You missed breakfast, but lunch should be coming by soon."

"I don't understand," I said quietly, "why can't they just believe me? What other possible agenda could I possibly have to be this far from home in a place I don't know, in a place that's so dangerous to get to that I had to come by dragon?" I asked, my breath becoming more shallow and rapid the longer I spoke.

"I honestly don't know, without Amotan here we don't even have any kind of scoop on what's happening outside of this damn hall," Mit said. There was a rasp of anger in their voice, something that was at odds with the rest of what I had seen of Mit before.

"Do you think he's looking for me?" I asked.

"Amotan?" Mit asked, though my silence gave the answer. "Your mate? I hope so, sugar."

I felt a burning in my eyes, tears welling up and my throat ached. My body was shattered and the wolfsbane slowed down the healing so much that my body was dying faster than I could repair it. I smoothed out my shirt and wiped the dirt on my palms on my trousers, not that it made much of a difference. I wanted to scream and cry all at once but I didn't have the energy for anything other than holding myself up.

"Is she awake?!" a loud yell came from down the hall and I cracked a small smile at the sound of Mattise's voice.

"The whole cell block is up now you old fool!" Mit yelled back.

"Give it a rest, how's she lookin'?" he asked and Mit sighed, patting the back of my hand.

"They got her good," they said and I heard some grumbling and cursing float down the cell block, seemingly from more than one cage.