24 - The Hospitality of Cellmates

Kydas POV

Kydas POV

The cell was damp and cold, and I felt exposed. Other than the back wall, I was only separated from the rest of the world by bars. I could see the figure slumped in the cell to my left, the one on my right empty. Across the hall I could see into the other cells, all of which looked occupied from my angle.

"There's shadow magic in the locks, so don't bother trying to escape. What'd they want you for?" the figure asked, sitting up a little straighter from its pile on the floor.

"I didn't do anything," I said numbly. The figure scoffed, cackling as they turned towards me.

"Typical, none of us ever do," they said. They beckoned me closer, and I looked around once more. My brain still overwhelmed, I sat down by the bars closest to the figure. "Names Mit, I'm a dreamwalker, and I'm blind," they said and I nodded before realising that wouldn't do.

"Right. Kyda, werewolf, I'm not blind," I said, kicking myself mentally.

"Well we have two working eyes between us, perfect," Mit grinned. I sighed and leant my head back against the metal frame of the bed. The mattress on the bed was little more than a scratchy piece of fabric, and something told me I would find more comfort here on the floor.

"Mit! Quit yappin' and tell us who the new one is!" Someone yelled from across the hall.

"Names Kyda, werewolf!" Mit complied happily.

"I'm sorry, why are we sharing?"

"Oh trust me, there's nothing much to do around here other than overshare," Mit said with a solemn nod.

"What's a werewolf doin' this far from home?!" the same voice yelled.

"Mattise if you don't shove a rock in your pie hole I wont be able to hear what she has to say!" Mit yelled back and I heard some loud grumbling, no doubt from Mattise. "Apologise dear, start whenever you're ready. Feel free to just yell it down the hall, or Mattise will start up again," Mit said with an encouraging smile. I looked at the dirt caked on their skin, the tattered of clothing that hung to their thinning frame.

"Alright," I said, shifting over to the front of the cell, "hi Mattise!" I called and I heard a grunt in response. "Names Kyda, and you're right, I am very far from home," I said, swallowing the lump in my throat. "I came out here looking for someone."

"Who was so important that you came all this way?!" he yelled back and I laughed.

"My mate, he's a warlock. I came to get him back,"  I said.

"The plot thickens," Mit chimed in, leaning towards my side of their cell.

"He came to my pack and we met, I started feeling the connection with him but, there were some issues. He had to leave, quickly, but I decided to come after him," I said and I heard Mattise scoff.