Gerald's Journey

Gerald's POV

"Did anybody else survive?" Louis asks.

I close the door of the shed as I lean against the wall. "We all survived the fire. We were all together but a horde surrounded us and we got split up. I was with Dinah, Colson, Ally, and Niall but I split from them to find Camila," I said.

"Any luck?" Louis asks.

"No," I shake my head.

"I hope you find her. I have a lot to thank her for," Harry says.

"So... You two, huh?" I raise an eyebrow.

"We've gotten quite close. Freaked out when Harry told me he used to be a zombie and Camila turned him but didn't stop me from falling," Louis says.

"Well looks like I'm stuck with you two. I'm going to rest but please hands to yourselves just for tonight since we are in a small shed," I said.

"You got it," Harry says.

"Have a good night's rest, Gerald," Louis says.

"Y'all too," I said. I sit down and lean back against the wall as I fall asleep in a matter of seconds.

Flashback to yesterday...

I start walking back over to where the horde boxed us in and once I get on the road, I feel my heart sink.

The horses have been completely ripped apart as some of their bones show from the flesh missing in some parts.

But one of the cars although is still intact as I jog over and open the driver's side door.

I start to look through compartments but I find nothing. I don't know why but I was secretly hoping Camila or any of the others would have come back and left a note behind.

I hear some twigs cracking and some noises as I get in the car, closing the door, and lay flat against the floor.

I hear familiar growls of the undead as a small group walks by me.

I peer up and see a zombie crash against the door, making the car shake.

Then all of a sudden it all gets silent as I slowly sit up and peer out to see them eating any remains from the horses.

"Fuck..." I whisper. I slowly stand up as I open the window on the back. I squeeze my backpack through letting it drop softly. Taking a look back at the zombies, I squeeze myself through as I land on my backpack making me groan in pain.

I sit up and see the zombies shuffle towards me as I pick my backpack up.

I jump off the edge of the back of the truck as I put my backpack on. I take out my knife as I strike down each zombie one at a time. I put my knife away as I search the zombies for anything.

I was about to lose hope but then I find a note in the pants front pocket of the last zombie I killed. I unfold the note as I lean against the truck. "It may be small and is used to store tools but it can also be like a mini house in your backyard," I read. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

When Camila and I were little she used to play hide and seek with me but it was quite different. She picked a place to hide and left riddles behind for me to solve and be able to find her.

I re-read the letter until it finally strikes me. "A shed. She's either in the shed or she left another riddle there," I said.

Present time...

I abruptly wake up from my sleep as I see Harry and Louis asleep, cuddled up together.

I reach into my pocket and take out the note as I stand up. "Could it be this shed?" I whisper to myself.

I start searching everywhere in the shed causing Harry and Louis to wake up.

"What are you doing Gerald?" Louis mumbles.

"When you got here did you guys see a note anywhere around here?" I ask.

"Why?" Harry asks.

I hand them the note as they read it over while I continue to search the shed.

"Camila left that riddle for me yesterday and I've been searching for a shed all day," I said.

"Wait and you didn't search yesterday?" Louis asks.

"I did but I didn't find this shed until tonight," I said.

I start looking around the floor and spot a loose board in the corner.

I lift the loose board and see another note as I grab it and unfold it. "Animals live here, people live here, some even have their grown crops, and there's nothing but an open field," I read. I lean against the wall as my jaw drops. "I know! It's a farm," I said.

"What?" Louis and Harry asked confused.

"She's going to the farm. But how would she know about it? Only me and Zayn..." I trail off. I grab my backpack. "She's at the farm, she's safe with Zayn I need to get to her," I said.

"Wait no!" Harry grabs my shoulder, stopping me.

"It's dark, Gerald. We should wait until the sun comes up," Louis says.

"First hours of dawn and were out of here," I said.

"You will lead," Louis says.

"I'll see you guys in the morning," I said.

Meanwhile...

Camila's POV

"Yeah, we did. But Zayn may not. He needs medical attention. We need to get him inside," I said.

"What happened to him?" Dinah asks.

Normani moves out of the way as Colson helps me hoist Zayn up.

"I'll tell you inside. He's been losing blood rapidly," I said.

"And if he loses anymore he will die," Normani says.