The Markings

Camila's POV

"Hold on, backtrack, Lauren left markings?" Dinah asks confused.

"How do you even know that it was her?" Gerald asks.

"It's a thing Lauren and I did back in the military whenever we lost each other. We will leave markings, specifically of our initials, on trees or anything we can mark on," Zayn explains.

"So those are her initials?" I ask.

"I'm pretty positive and if not then were screwed by whatever trap it may be," Zayn says.

"So do we take off now or..." Gerald trails off.

"No. I need the daylight to see them," Zayn says.

"We'll continue at dawn then?" I raise a questioning eyebrow.

"Yes ma'am," Zayn says.

The next morning...

We've finally taken off, following the markings with Zayn in the lead.

"So what should we trust more. That radio message we got or these markings?" I ask him.

"Definitely the markings. And even if it was Lauren who sent that radio message then I'm guessing these markings may lead to the highway and if they do, she wanted us to know that it isn't a trap," Zayn says.

"You know, I feel like we were all close to each other but we all just went different directions," I said.

"Hey, even if that is, at least we had each other and we will meet up with Lauren and whoever is with her if there is," Zayn says.

"Do you think James caused that fire?" I ask.

"It's most likely. He threatened Lauren will pay," Zayn says.

"But... All of those innocent people that died... I mean I know we killed people too but..." I trail off.

"Hey, James will fucking pay, I'll make sure of it. Lauren will make sure of it," Zayn says.

"And I will too," I said.

That evening...

"Hey, Colson, do you know where we are?" Zayn asks.

Colson hums looking down at the map in his hands then at our surroundings. "We're here," He points at the map with his finger.

"The markings are leading us to the highway leading into Pennsylvania," Zayn says.

"Damn straight," Colson says.

"So that means Lauren has to be there. She had to be the one who also sent us that radio message," I said.

"Damn, whoever was able to make that radio work, they deserve a high ass praise," Gerald says.

"Let's not go assuming. Not yet. The markings may be going the same direction where the highway is but they can keep going," Zayn says.

The sun has finally set over the horizon as we settle down somewhere.

Everyone else is by the fire they sparked as I walk over to where Zayn is, sitting all alone.

"How's your wound?" I sit down next to Zayn.

"Healing up good. I need to change the bandages though," Zayn says.

"Need help?" I ask.

Zayn shakes his head and stands up. "I'll be fine. Why are you so worried about me?" He asks.

"Maybe because part of me is guilty that this happened to you," I said.

"Camila, I don't hold this against you. I've gone through worse stuff. Plus, if I get you back to Lauren with no injuries, she won't be on my ass," Zayn says.

"Why do you always say that?" I ask.

"Because if Lauren was able to tell me, she would've told me to protect you no matter what, and with me thinking that, I will accomplish it until I get you back to her," Zayn says.

"Thank you, Zayn," I smile.

The next evening...

We let Zayn rest all morning and have Ally and Niall attend to his wound which is safe to not have any more bandages.

"We're not far out from the highway," Colson says.

"How long will it take us to get there?" Gerald asks.

"We'll get there before the sun has set," Colson says.

Niall checks his watch and nods. "The sun is supposed to set in about two hours," He says.

"We got plenty of time then," I said.

About an hour later, we clear out of the woods and stand in front of the highway.

"Hey, we're here," I said.

"Fucking finally!" Dinah cheers.

"Keep your voice down Dinah. We don't know who's out there," Gerald says.

"Always so cautious."

We all turn around at the new voice and see Lauren step out of the woods.

"Lauren!" Zayn says.