Lauren's Crew's Journey

Lauren's POV

I grab my heated-up canned food as I eat in silence while the other three have a casual conversation.

"So Lauren, even if they did hear what you said, are you sure they will find us?" Liam asked.

"If Zayn, Dinah, Colson, Camila, and Gerald are with any of them, they will. Plus, I left the marks behind," I said.

"Yeah, but why?" Liam asks.

"When Zayn and I were in the military it was a way for us to find each other," I said.

"So basically only Zayn will understand?" Liam asks.

"Any smart person will decide to follow it," I shrugged innocently.

"Hopefully it will attract the others not a dangerous person looking to harm," Halsey says.

I put down the empty can as I drink some water. "I'm going to rest. I feel extremely tired," I said.

"We didn't sleep until we got here. Understandable," Liam says.

I lay down on the grass as I place my jacket over me and end up falling asleep.

Flashback to yesterday...

"Wait... Where are we going?" Liam asks.

"To the highway leading into Pennsylvania there would be a better signal there than in these woods," I shake my walkie-talkie.

"Yeah I tried everything I could," Shawn says.

"Not only don't you know how to disarm bombs, but you also know about radios," I said.

"I know a quite few more things thanks to my father," Shawn says.

"Well then, the walk is very far, it will take all day and some of tomorrow," I said.

It's around noontime as we are walking along the open road.

"Do you know where we are, Laur?" Liam asks.

I look at our surroundings then back down on the map in my hand. "We're here," I point with my finger.

"Still long way to go," Liam says.

"Hey looks it's a convenience store," Halsey says.

"And zombies let's go before they spot us," I said.

We sprint more up the road before they could see us as we just continue to walk with me leading.

About half an hour later, the sky is orange as the others don't look too good.

"What's wrong with y'all?" I ask.

"We just ran out of water," Halsey says.

"Thirsty as fuck..." Liam falls to his knees.

"Guys are you for real?" I stop walking.

"We've been walking since the morning and without water in our systems," Shawn says.

"Ain't no professional but I know that's a no-no," Halsey says.

I take out my canteen from its pouch on my war/battle belt as I unscrew the top to see that it's empty. "Fine, uh..." I trail off. I look down on my map as I check my surroundings. "We're close to a river. Follow me," I said.

It takes us thirty minutes but we finally reach the river after pushing aside some leaves from a bush.

"Everyone grab some and then we can take some time to just boil the water," I said, handing my canteen to Liam.

As everybody collects some water and works together to make a fire to boil it, I walk far away from everyone as I take out my notepad and a pen.

I open up to one of the pages to reveal a poem written on it, a poem for Camila.

I sit down on a rock as I tap the pen against the notepad. I then begin to write as I just pour my feelings into it. I finally end up finishing the poem as I put my pen and notepad away.

"Lauren."

I look up to see Liam walking over to me as he hands me my canteen.

"Thank you," I said.

"Finishing your poem I see," Liam says.

"Fell asleep last night so I couldn't," I said. I unscrew the top of my canteen as I take a sip of water. "You know, I know that Camila is a fighter but yet... I can't help but worry," I said.

Liam takes a sip of water from his water bottle as he kneels in front of me. "That's because you're falling again," He says.

I open up a pocket on my war/battle belt as I take out my wedding ring and my late wife's. "What will she say if she were here. If she could talk to me?" I ask.

"I think she'll say that she's proud of you. You're living life again," Liam says.

"There's a reason why I couldn't move on maybe some part of me never will," I said.

"Which is?" Liam asks.

"Only Zayn knows about this. But, before they killed my wife... She told me she was pregnant. She was afraid to tell me," I said.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Laur," Liam says.

"Thank you," I smile softly.

"I'll leave you alone," Liam stands up. He squeezes my shoulder before walking back over to join the other two.

I look down at the rings before putting them back in the pocket they were in. I stand up, closing my canteen and putting it in its pouch as instead, I take out my hip flask. I take the top off and take a sip, the whiskey burning down my throat. I look at the river as I take a deep breath. "I hope you're okay wherever you are, Camila," I whispered.

After finally finishing boiling our water, we continue our journey. 

Present time...

The rest of the journey yesterday and this morning and afternoon was pretty much calm until this night when we finally arrived where we currently are.

An hour and a half ago...

"Hey we're here," I said.

The highway is of course abandoned, filled with abandoned, rusted, beaten down vehicles.

I unhook my walkie-talkie from my vest as I hand it over to Shawn. "You think you'll be able to get a signal?" I ask.

"I'll try," He nods.

It did take him an hour and a half to finally get a signal.

"I think I finally have it," Shawn says.

I walk over to him as I take the walkie-talkie. "You sure?" I ask.

"Ninety-nine percent sure. It's set on the same line as the others' walkie-talkies," He says.

Shawn smiles at me and walks over to the campfire where Liam and Halsey are seated, heating food.

I press the button as I bring the walkie-talkie up to my lips. "Testing, testing... 1, 2, 3. If you guys can hear me we are at the highway leading into Pennsylvania. I repeat we are at the highway leading into Pennsylvania," I said.

Now all I'm hoping for is that the message reached the others. And that's all I have... Hope.