Old Mentor

Lauren's POV

"No... No... It can't be you. I don't know how you know my story but..." I trail off. I stare at the man in front of me as I fall on my knees, dipping my down. "Who am I kidding? It is... It is you," I speak softly.

Andrew gets down on his knees in front of me as he grips both of my arms, making me look up at him.

"Let's go back to Alexandria," Andrew says.

He stands up and helps me up with him as we get inside the truck.

Back at Alexandria, the gates open, and Andrew drives in as he stops and gets out of the vehicle.

The gates close shut as an Alexandrian jogged over to Andrew, taking the keys, getting in the truck, and driving it away.

I look around to see that my people are hanging about.

I catch eyes with some of them but I wave my hand, dismissing the idea of them following me.

I do realize that Camila, Liam, and Danai aren't around.

"Governor, where's Danai, Camila, and Liam?" I look at Andrew.

"Probably still out scouting. And call me Andrew," The old mentor says.

We begin walking, Andrew catching up on all that has happened in my life post-apocalyptic. 

"You came such a long way. I couldn't be prouder of you. Not only just as your old mentor... But like a father figure," Andrew stops walking and turns to face me.

"You don't how much I desired to see you again. Thank you in person for everything you've done for me," I said.

"I only taught you. Everything you've accomplished, you did it, not me," Andrew says.

He cups my face in his hands as I lean into his touch, the tears I've been holding in, falling.

"I never forgot you and yet I suppose I kinda did due to me not remembering much on how you look," I said.

"You were young my child," Andrew says.

My tears fall faster as l wrap my arms around Andrew's torso and bury my face in his chest.

Andrew just holds me, letting me release every drop of tears I desire to let out.

I don't know how long we've been like this until I hear someone call Andrew's name.

We pull away to see Danai walking over to us as I wipe my tears away.

"You are back my love," Andrew smiles.

They kiss each other on the cheek as I look between the two.

"I will... I will be off," I said.

"Wait," Andrew says.

He reaches a hand out to me and I take it as Andrew pulls me into his side, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"Danai, I know that you've already met Lauren but do you remember me telling you about a little girl that I trained many years ago? How she felt like such a daughter to me?" Andrew speaks.

"I do. Is it her?" Danai motions her head towards me.

"Yes," Andrew says.

Danai looks at me as she holds her hand out to me and I take it.

"Makes sense why Andrew brought you here. He's been searching for you ever since the outbreak," Danai says.

"He could have done it a nicer way but..." I laugh.

Andrew laughs as he pulls me into his embrace as I return it.

"I should let you go now. Danai and I have Alexandria matters to attend to," Andrew says.

"I need to go and talk to my group," I said.

"Of course. I'll see you later my child," Andrew says.

"See you later," I said.

After regrouping my people, I explain to them who Andrew is to me, and upon hearing this, most relax but some don't.

"What if he's just pretending so he can gain your trust?" Gerald says.

"Nobody besides my family knew about my dad's drinking problem, surprisingly. And no one else besides my family knew about my mentor," I said.

"I believe you. I'm glad you have someone from your past. You seemed like you needed it," Camila says.

"The amount of shade you just threw to me Camila," Zayn jokes.

Camila laughs as she reaches over and squeezes his arm. "I'm talking childhood," She says.

"You guys can trust Andrew, if you trust me then you can trust him," I said.

"Yes ma'am," My Elites say.

I smile brightly at them as I take Camila's hand in mine and bring her closer to me.

"It seems this shitty world is turning around," I said.

"You turned my world around," Camila says.

"I love you," I said.

Camila brings her other hand up and cups my cheek. "I love you too, Lauren. So fucking much," She says.

I wrap my arms around her waist and she wraps her arms around my neck as I dip my head down and connect our lips in a passionate kiss.