Ch. 5 Frayed

WOUNDS
[3×05]

UNPLEASANT MEMORIES REPLAYED IN AYLA'S MIND AS SHE LEANED HER HEAD AGAINST THE COLD GLASS OF THE WINDOW. She was sat on a bus headed to a cross-country meet. And if that wasn't miserable enough, she had had an especially crappy few days. So she pressed her head against the glass, closing her eyes and hoping that maybe her dreams would be more pleasant than her concious mind. Only she wasn't that lucky.

All closing her eyes did was bring back the memory that she was trying not to think about.

|

There were already bloody claw marks across Ayla's rib cage. She knew there would also be bruises down her right side as she was thrown into the ground. She glanced to the side in the direction she had seen Derek, Ennis and Scott move in. The beta was on the ground, but slashed his claws out at Ennis' leg. Blood splattered onto the floor, and the alpha stumbled as him and Derek fought.

For a second, Ayla thought they might actually be about to solve one of their alpha problems. She watched as Ennis started to fall off the edge of the platform they were on, and that was when she realized he intended to take Derek with him. Ayla rushed back onto her feet, running towards them. "No!" she screamed as her uncle started to go over.

It was too late, however. All she could do was watch as both men went over the edge and plummeted to the ground. Scott had been watching in horror, but turned as he heard her voice. As in shock as he was, he was fully aware that if the she-wolf didn't slow down as she ran to the edge, she was going to fall with them. He got to his feet, grabbing her as she got closer.

Ayla struggled against him for a moment, both staring down at where they could see both the alphas. A sob escaped the girl's throat and she stopped struggling. She just cried as she stared down at where her uncle had landed below.

|

Ayla felt a kiss against her neck, pulling her out of the memory. She knew it was meant to be comforting, but all she wanted was for Piper to stop asking what was wrong. "You're gonna get yelled at by Finstock for PDA," she warned, turning to the other girl.

"You look like you're in pain," Piper told her.

Ayla shook her head. "Just uncomfortable," she replied.

"Then what's this?" Piper wondered.

Ayla hissed in surprise as her girlfriend slid her hand up her shirt and found the leftover injuries. "Pipe!" she exclaimed.

"You are in pain. Why aren't you talking to me?" Piper asked.

"Because I don't want to talk about it. There was a fight. It ended badly, and I got this," Ayla told her, lifting up the side of her shirt. All that was really left was bruising over her ribs that would fade within the next few hours.

"Why is there blood?" Piper wondered.

Ayla looked down, seeing the dried blood on her shirt. The wound was gone, but apparently it had still been bleeding when she got dressed. "Because there was blood," Ayla admitted. Piper looked sick at the thought of what could've happened, making Ayla sigh. "Don't worry. I'm a lot better than some others."