Ch. 6 Riddled

FOXFIRE
[3×18]

YOU WOULD THINK SOMEONE WHO GOT NIGHTMARES FREQUENTLY WOULD ACTUALLY LIKE HAVING A DECENT DREAM. But Ayla was fully aware that she wasn't awake as she walked down the dark stairs. She was always aware that whatever she was seeing wasn't real. It never made any of it any less life-like. And going through an event that you knew wasn't real- in that moment at least- but knew you couldn't escape was incredibly eerie.

She was still wearing the same oversized T-shirt she fell asleep in, walking barefoot through the cold room. She had learned just to play along. She may not know where she's going at the beginning, but she always seemed to end up where she was supposed to go.

She looked around. Was she in a basement? She could feel goosebumps forming on her bare arms and legs as she looked around in confusion. She started to move further into the dark room, only to hear movement behind her.

She turned to face whatever it was and stumbled back. The thing in front of her was wrapped in old bandages. It would look just like a mummy if it weren't for the clothes it wore. It stepped towards her and Ayla backed away. She tripped while doing so, and felt herself begin to fall backwards.

|

Ayla sat up with a gasp, the feeling of hitting the stone ground still fresh. She tried to catch her breath as she sat there in her dark room. Why was she the one who had to have nightmares about every creature they faced? And more importantly, what the hell was this one?

She felt paws kneading at her leg and looked down. Lucifer gave his usual harsh meow as he looked up at her. "You rip that blanket and your sleeping on the floor," she warned. He gave a hiss, making her roll her eyes. She picked up the animal- which of course brought on more hissing- and pulled him against her chest as she laid back down like she had with teddy bears when she was a kid. He stopped hissing as she went still, and simply laid next to her.

She saw something light up next to her and turned to see that her phone was ringing on her nightstand. She let go of the cat to pick it up, quickly checking who it was as she answered. "We're doing late night calls now?" she asked with a smirk.

"I need your help," Scott told her, and she could hear the panic in his voice.

Ayla stood up, already moving towards her closet. "Scott, what's wrong?" she asked.

"Stiles. He's... somewhere. He just called me, and he was scared. We need to find him," he told her.

Ayla grabbed a pair of jeans and pressed her phone between her head and shoulder as she pulled them on. "I'll meet you at his house?" she asked.

"Yeah," he agreed.

"Scott," Ayla said. She wasn't sure if she was trying to settle his fear or her own, but it really didn't matter right now. "He'll be okay," she assured him.

Scott was silent for a moment. "Just meet me there," he told her and hung up.

Ayla sighed and quickly started putting on shoes. She turned to see Lucifer looking at her, almost expectantly. "It's the middle of the night. I'm not feeding you," she snapped. He just turned around and laid down on her bed with his back to her. "Asshole," she muttered, walking out of her room.