Ch. 2 117

DEREK
[4×02]

ONCE THEY HAD GOTTEN BACK TO BEACON HILLS, SCOTT, AYLA, LYDIA AND STILES TOOK DEREK TO THE ANIMAL CLINIC. Deaton quickly cleared off the table as Scott carried the unconscious werewolf over. Ayla helped him lay Derek down on the table, before both moved out of the way to let Deaton look at him.

"Wow," the vet muttered as he looked at Derek.

"Wow? Wow as in a, 'I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do,' kind of wow?" Stiles asked. "'Cause that's the kind of wow we were hoping for."

"I think you might be overestimating my abilities," Deaton told him.

"Can you just figure out what the hell they did to him?" Ayla wondered.

"He's cold," Lydia noticed, feeling Derek's arm. "Really cold." Ayla frowned, taking her uncle's hand.

"Do you think this is permanent?" Scott asked the vet.

Deaton shook his head, unsure of how to answer. He grabbed a flashlight, checking Derek's eyes. "I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate. This is well beyond my experience," he told them.

"Okay, but I still need a legal guardian for a few more months and for that he actually has to be legal," Ayla snapped.

"What are we supposed to do?" Scott asked. He placed a reluctant hand on the she-wolf's arm to try to calm her down.

"Until he wakes up? Probably not much. It might be best to leave him with me. He'll be safe here," Deaton told them.

"You mean from Kate?" Stiles guessed.

"If she's alive and she is what you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate," Deaton assured.

"Why would she want to do this to him?" Lydia wondered.

"Knowing Kate, it's probably for a reason that won't be any good for anyone but her," Deaton said.

"And bad for everyone else," Stiles muttered.

Deaton nodded. "You guys should probably go home. He doesn't look to be in any danger. So maybe the rest of you should get some sleep. It is a school night, and you all need to start taking care of your own lives again," he told them.

"I'm staying here," Ayla said in a voice that made it clear it wasn't up for debate.

Scott frowned at the Hale. A part of him wanted to remind her that she had more absences than any of them, but he knew it was pointless. "I'll stay with her," Lydia volunteered, sensing the alpha's concern. "My grades are fine, and I can make this one study." She gave her best friend a smile.

"Great," Ayla muttered.

"I'm not okay with this," Stiles told them.

"Guys, go," Lydia said.

"Text us if anything happens," Scott told them.

"Nope, still not okay with it. Not going anywhere," Stiles argued, but Scott just grabbed his arm and began dragging him towards the door. "All right, just 'cause you're stronger..." Scott dragged him out the door.

Ayla rolled her eyes at the two boys, before turning back to Derek. She sighed as she began to wait for him to wake back up.

|