Ch. 5 Silverfinger

KITSUNE
[3×17]

HER UNCLE ENDED UP BREAKING AYLA'S ARM TO GET HER TO START HEALING. But she had and now the only evidence of the whole thing was the mark behind Ayla's ear and the cold feeling that hadn't left yet.

Most of her friends had already gone, but Scott sat on her bed with her. The she-wolf had her rather soft blue and purple patched blanket pulled around her. She had pulled her dark hair up into a bun to keep it away from the mark on her ear.

Scott reached over, running a finger over the small mark. Ayla shivered as his skin touched hers and he quickly pulled his hand back. "Sorry. Does that hurt?" he wondered.

"No," she informed him. The two looked at each other for a moment, remembering how quickly things had escalated earlier tonight. Ayla started to lean forward to connect her lips to his.

"I called your dad." Both teenagers quickly scooted further apart as they turned to face Derek. The man was standing in the doorway. Neither of the teens could decide if his scowl was just because he was Derek, or if it was because he had noticed what was happening.

"Uh, thanks," Ayla told him.

"He wants you to come by later today to tell him goodbye before he leaves for the airport tomorrow," Derek told her.

"I need to get my things anyway. And Lucy," Ayla said.

Derek sent her a look. "Lucy?" he asked.

She sighed. "Long story. Imagine a grey, fluffy demon," she told him.

Scott rolled his eyes. "It's Piper's cat," he explained.

Derek gave a nod, even though he was very confused by the idea of his niece with a cat. She hadn't even been able to keep her gold fish alive. Of course, that had been almost ten years ago now, but the point still stood. "You should get some rest. You're helping me put my place back together later," he told her.

"I already told you that I had no idea the twins were throwing a party," Ayla reminded.

"You're still helping," Derek informed her, walking off.

Ayla sighed in annoyance. "You probably need to get home if you actually want to go to school today," she said, turning to Scott.

"Yeah," he agreed, grabbing his jacket. He moved to stand up, but then turned to her.

For a moment, Ayla thought that he was going to kiss her again. And he probably would have if it wasn't for Derek's booming voice from the other room.

"Goodbye, Scott!"

|

Piper and Kira sat in silence the whole way to the new girl's house. The two sat there for a moment, neither really knowing what to say. "So all your friends..."

"Yeah," Piper agreed, not even needing to hear the word.

"But you're..."

"Human. Completely human," Piper assured her.

Kira nodded. "And the reason none of this freaked you out was because your ex is a..."

"Werewolf," Piper said. She managed a smile. "See? You're not the weirdest girl I've gone on a date with."

Both managed a chuckle, at least till they took in her words. "Uh, I need to get inside," Kira told her.