Ch. 10 The Overlooked

HOSPITAL
[3×10]

AFTER TALKING TO SCOTT, THE YOUNGEST HALE WENT RUNNING BACK TO THE LOFT. Him and Stiles met her there, and told her about what happened. Derek came to meet them as soon as Peter arrived at the hospital to watch Cora.

Ayla stayed out of sight with her two friends as they heard the loft door open. "Derek! Derek, where are you?" Ms. Blake yelled as she walked inside.

"Right here," the alpha called, walking over to her.

She sighed in relief. "Thank God," she said, and threw her arms around him in a hug. "Something happened at the recital. At the school. Okay, I need to tell you before you hear it, before you hear any of it from them."

"From who?" Derek asked.

"Scott, Stiles. They're gonna tell you things. Things you can't believe. You have to trust me, okay? You trust me," she told him.

"What is it?" Derek wondered.

"Promise you'll listen to me," she pleaded.

"I promise," Derek told her.

She kissed him, but there was a new look of worry on her face when she pulled away. "They're already here, aren't they?" she asked.

All three teenagers walked into the room and she turned to face them. "So, they told you it was me? That I'm the one taking people?" she wondered, turning back to Derek.

"We told him you're the one killing people," Scott corrected.

The woman smiled. "Oh, that's right. Committing human sacrifices? What, cutting their throats? Yeah, I probably do it on my lunch hour. That way, I can get back to teaching high school English the rest of the day. That makes perfect sense," she snapped.

"Where's my dad?" Stiles asked. The woman had apparently taken the Sheriff, right after trying to murder Lydia. Stiles' eyes were filled with tears as a few ran down his cheeks. Ayla slipped her hand into his, hoping to be of some comfort to her friend.

"How should I know?" Jennifer wondered. She turned back to the alpha beside her. "Derek, tell me you don't believe this."

He looked back at the three teenagers. "Do you know what happened to Stiles' father?" he asked.

"No," she told him.

"So you have no idea why my best friend's throat is purple from you trying to strangle her to death?" Ayla wondered.

"Who? Lydia Martin? I don't know anything about that," Jennifer snapped.

"What do you know?" Derek questioned.

"I know that these boys, for whatever misguided reason, are filling you and your niece's heads with some absurd story. And one they can't prove, by the way," the woman said, glaring at Scott and Stiles.

"I wouldn't be too sure of that," Ayla told her.

The woman frowned and Scott held up a jar. "What is that?" she wondered.

"My boss told me it's a poison and a cure, which means you can use it and it can be used against you," Scott explained, opening the bottle as he moved towards her.

"Mistletoe?" Jennifer guessed.

Scott threw the contents of the jar at her and it swirled in the air around her as she changed. She changed into the same disfigured creature Ayla had seen her first night back in town. The dust settled and the woman returned to their English teacher. She immediately ran for the door, but Derek grabbed her by the throat with one hand and let his claws come out on the other.