Ch. 12 Revelations: Lunar Eclipse

NEMETON
[3×12]

IT HAD BEEN TEN HOURS SINCE SCOTT, ALLISON AND STILES WENT UNDER THE ICY WATER. They were still in there, and Ayla was officially starting to believe they weren't coming out.

The she-wolf had been pacing in the same room as Isaac and Lydia, but she couldn't take all of this anymore. She walked towards the door, deciding she needed some air. "Ayla," Lydia called.

"I'll be back," she told her and stepped outside. She took in a breath, frowning as she realized that the sun was up. She was pretty sure this was day three of no sleep, not that she thought she would be able to do so till she knew that everyone was okay.

She heard the door open and expected to find one of her friends, but it was Deaton. "You alright?" he asked her.

She shrugged. "Cora called to let me know she's okay. Derek isn't looking great. And I'm trying not to doubt your plan here, but I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't getting worried about the three of them in there," she told the man.

Deaton nodded. "You still haven't said whether or not you're all right," he reminded.

Ayla gave a humorless laugh. "I just got dumped, my uncle- basically the only parental figure I currently have- might not be okay, and I'm waiting for three of my friends to come back from the dead. Does that sound all right?" she asked, her voice rising.

The vet didn't get offended, though. He knew she needed to get it out, even if it wasn't actually meant to be directed at him. "You're angry," he noted.

"Damn right I'm angry," Ayla snapped. She shook her head at herself. "When there's no freaking point."

"What do you mean?" Deaton asked her.

"I mean that I'm the one who grew up as Talia's granddaughter. I'm the one who was always expected to be this great alpha, because she was. And I never even wanted it. I didn't want to be alpha. I didn't want to be a seer. I just wanted to live my life. But I took that. I tried to learn whatever I could to make me better. To make sure I lived up to her. Even just lived up to my mother. And I'm failing," Ayla explained, tears filling her eyes.

"I'm not sure what exactly you could be considered a failure at," Deaton told her.

Ayla shrugged. "Everything! Being a seer. Living up to them. The universe basically seems to be screaming at me that I'm not good enough at this point," she snapped.

"Have you ever considered that maybe it's because your grandmother's plan for you wasn't what you were actually meant for?" he asked.

"Then what is it? Because so far I don't see anything, okay? Everyone around me just continues to get hurt and I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to be doing about it," she told him, tears running down her cheeks.

"You're supposed to help them. You may still be learning to use what you see, but what you do can still help. And no, you aren't an alpha. But you have more knowledge about packs than anyone inside there. Not only that but you care this much about them," Deaton told her.

Ayla said nothing, letting him talk. She just let her tears continue to slide down her cheeks. Deaton sighed when she didn't respond to any of it.

"Yes, Scott is the one becoming alpha. But that just means he needs you more than ever," Deaton reminded her.