A Miserable Dinner 🤬

“Are you coming?” Neha heard as soon as she received a phone call from an unknown number. There had been no greetings at all. It was seven in the evening and she was waiting for the cab. She was supposed to meet Rohan Aggarwal, the guy her parents had desperately selected for her after all, they were born just to marry her off.

Only Neha knew, how much she wanted her parents to think sanely about her future instead of selecting grooms for her. She was an employee in government sector for God’s sake and her parents had asked to meet Rohan who was a college dropout.

Being someone who loved peace, Neha was dressed up tonight to meet Rohan after all, she did not want to be called a ‘disgrace’ again. She was fed up with her parents and she wanted to tell them that she was not interested in marrying someone chosen by them because those guys were simply not worth her.

Being a gorgeous woman, she was ready to compromise on looks of her life partner. Being financially independent, she would be happy to marry someone who earned less than her. Precisely, she had no qualms in breaking the stereotypes her society had set up but she just wanted someone who would understand her passion for her job, her lifeline.

“Who's this?” She asked getting baffled.

“I would have appreciated if you had saved my number. By the way, I am Rohan. Reach by eight sharp. Bye.” The man from the other side ordered her and she was literally, flabbergasted.

The call was disconnected and she could not help but wonder, “What the hell was that?”

“Bloody moron! How could he order me like that? Why should I save his number in the first place? Who is he? A prime minister, huh!” She murmured as she huffed in anger.

Having talked to him, she realized she would actually prefer to run away from the marriage hall in a heavy lehenga without a boyfriend if she was supposed to marry Rohan. She realized he was one orthodox man with a big, fat male ego and she didn’t want to be a slave to his ego. She was frustrated at her parents who selected ‘museum masterpieces’ for the arrange marriage ordeal instead of gentlemen she preferred.

Clad in a black coloured kurti with white leggings, she made sure that she was not looking attractive. With her hair tied up in a bun, she had just applied lip gloss on her moisturized face. She usually dressed up before going to work but today, she was simply uninterested. As soon as the cab driver called her, she rushed at the gates of her housing society and within an hour, she was at the restaurant.

A few blocks away in Akash Ganga Society, two little kids were giggling looking at three elders fighting for the sake of a restaurant.

Bhai, Nature’s Lap has got good reviews. I want to go there.” Radha whined pouting at Arjun.

“It’s too far”, Arjun tried to reason only to see Radha scoffing at him. “Arjun, come on, I will drive but please don’t make my wife angry”, Mayank pleaded. Angry Radha meant no touching, no kissing and no sex. After two years, Mayank had got a peace posting and he wanted to stay close to his wife cherishing their romantic moments.

“Are you pregnant again?” Arjun asked glaring at Mayank as he remembered the mood swings of his sister during both of her pregnancies.

“Bad joke, bhai. You are coming, that’s it so get ready while we wait for you.” Radha murmured before scurrying away from the living room to get her two year old son Abhigyan ready for the evening. Ofcourse, she couldn’t leave him alone back home.

“Why don’t you both go for a date?” Arjun winked at Mayank.

“Seriously, man! Is this why we are here? We could have enjoyed our dates back in Jaipur too. Why are you so lousy?” Mayank ranted getting irritated at his best friend since their teenage.