Letting him in 💚

"I met Rahul twice. Both of the times, the meeting was arranged by our parents. We began to have late night conversations after our engagement and since, he was okay with me working, I planned out my life with him. I was satisfied." Neha sighed as she began narrating her past.

Still leaning on Arjun, she was glad that she was not facing him. As much as she wanted to pour her heart out, she was not ready to face Arjun yet. She knew the conversation could turn embarrassing and she did not want Arjun to judge her.

Arjun stiffened. The fact that his girlfriend was engaged did not sit well with him. His possessive-self stroked Neha's back gently as he held her in his arms to never let her go. He was proud of his girl who had stepped up for herself. Curious to know everything about her tonight, he asked, "Then".

"He grew possessive and I was feeling suffocated in the relationship. He did not want me to talk with any of male colleagues. He created a fuss once when Mr. Sinha called around six in the evening and I was aghast. He was judging me and I chose to stay quiet." Neha mumbled hugging him as if her life was dependent on him. Technically, her life revolved around Arjun for she had no one to have her back.

"What nonsense?", asked Arjun exasperated. First her parents and then the guy they selected for her wanted to curb her freedom, he wondered.

"He wanted me to dress conservatively", she complained.

"You already dress conservatively. I am glad you broke up with him." Arjun muttered. Frankly, he was tired of looking Neha into jeans and kurtis. Only he knew how much he wanted her to appreciate her physical beauty shunning her insecurities and fears of getting judged.

"I was a doll to him, Arjun. I was supposed to behave in a certain way. I had to tell him where I was going, what I was doing and whom I was meeting. I had to take his 'permission' for planning a day out with Juhi and it was suffocating to me. I thought perhaps, it was what marriage supposedly meant and I chose to stay quiet." Neha muttered, reminiscing those terrible days when Rahul had become overbearing. She had not been happy yet, she had been lacking a choice to talk to her parents. She was glad that Rahul was not a part of her life, no matter how her parents treated her.

"You are completely wrong. Marriage is about companionship. It is about trust, loyalty, affection and togetherness. It is about supporting each other. I am glad that you chose to stop the advances of your so-called ex-fiancé who was chaining you in the name of marriage." Arjun whispered, sharing his thoughts on marriage and Neha's heart swelled in pride. Even in the middle of this serious discussion, all she could think was being Arjun's wife someday. She craved for a happy family with him, no matter whatever it would take.

"I would have never taken the drastic step if I had not visited the hospital with my friend." She told, feeling the goosebumps. The wound of betrayal was still fresh and she hated Rahul was acting like a jerk.

"I don't understand", Arjun mumbled perplexed while Neha was embarrassed to speak further.

"Two months before the wedding, I visited the hospital with Juhi. Her cousin had met with an accident. I saw Rahul there." Neha mumbled, still clinging to Arjun, glad that she was not facing him. She was too embarrassed to carry out the conversation yet, she decided to tell him the truth. She had realized that Arjun deserved to know everything about her.

"Did he cheat on you and made someone pregnant?" Arjun asked, repeating the first thought that came to his mind.

"I wish it was the case", she replied with a humourless chuckle.

"What happened, then?", asked Arjun.

Reliving that day, Neha told Arjun, "I tried to stop him but he ignored me." Closing her eyes, she continued, "I called him and asked if he had gone to the hospital but he lied being in his office".