Advent of Storm 🚩

Di, I’m afraid”, Neha whispered to Piya, while their maid served the breakfast. Everyone including their parents were enjoying the butter-laden aloo paranthas while Neha’s heart was thumping loudly. She knew the storm was yet to come.

“Calm down, Neha. Arjun will handle everything.” Piya whispered back with a smile.

“Grow up both of you”, their mother scorned and Sheetal sighed, tired of her mother-in-law who was always dictating lives of everyone for she could not live her life on her own terms.

“Piya and Sheetal, take Neha for shopping today. She is getting engaged to Varun in the coming ten days. She must shop for everything she needs for the engagement.” Ramesh announced.

“Papa, you didn’t tell me”, Piyush objected. He was too angry on his father upon knowing why his father had planned Neha’s wedding with Varun. His father had not told about Varun to him. He had got to know everything from Neha.

“Varun is a good guy. Neha and he had a conversation. Both of them are ready. Why should I inform you? She is not your daughter, Piyush.” The old patriarch yelled on the dining table, not liking how his son had questioned him in the presence of his son-in-law.

“Varun is stuck in his past. He is not the one for Neha di and I won’t let this marriage happen.” Piyush finally opposed his father, speaking the words Neha wanted to say since long.

“From where did you learn to answer me back? From your sister or your wife?” Ramesh bellowed, raging in anger. He stood up from the dining table and leaving food in his plate while his wife was confused to choose between the delicious paranthas or her husband.

“Papa, Neha di will not marry Varun. Yes, she is not my daughter but yours. However, she is my sister and I will do what is the best for her.” Piyush yelled while Piya mumbled, “Calm down”.

“They will be here at any moment and you are creating a scene”, Sheetal hissed at her husband when the door bell rang.

Neha, who was overwhelmed to see her family supporting her, walked to the main door. She knew her parents would never agree to her relationship with Arjun but she did not care anymore.

Finally she had learned that it was impossible to please everyone. She had realized that she should not feel sad for not getting the love from her parents rather, she should be happy that she had amazing people who loved her and cared for her.

 At the door, stood Arjun with his family which reminded Neha that her message was still unseen. Nevertheless, she smiled at him and touched the feet of his parents surprising everyone. She hugged Radha and ushered everyone inside.

Neha was hyperventilating looking at the crowd inside her little apartment. She was afraid that her parents would not accept her relationship. She wondered what if her parents would disrespect the guests. She had requested Arjun to bring his parents only because she was afraid of the reaction of her parents however, Radha and Mayank had chosen to come to her house showing their support and solidarity. Closing her eyes, she prayed to the Almighty, “God, please make sure no one from Arjun’s family gets insulted inside my house today”.

Ramesh and Anju were clueless at the entry of sudden guests while everyone had smiles on their faces. As everyone sat in the living room, a strange silence crept in the air while Neha urged her maid to clean up the dining table and quickly serve nice, strong tea with snacks to everyone.

Ramesh enquired from his son, “Who are these people?”, in a bare whisper, surprised when he saw Piyush hugging a handsome gentleman and paying his regards to an old couple. He was surprised to see a young girl and a man along with two little kids.