Silence before the Storm 🌀

"Who will look after the house?", scorned Anju when she saw Sheetal standing with Piyush and the kids.

Sheetal simply, touched the feet of her mother-in-law and took a deep breath, looking for Neha inside the house. She was relaxed to see Piya, though.

Neha's cute, little apartment was hustling-bustling with the chatter of kids. Piya and Amit had reached Delhi, last night.

"Why both of you have come here?", boomed the voice of their father, the patriarch of the family, as he glared at both Piyush and Sheetal. Like the good, obedient daughter-in-law, Sheetal touched the feet of her father-in-law, while Aarav and Aarush hugged their grandpa delightfully.

Aarav and Aarush were the two saviours for Piyush and Sheetal right now. Piya scurried in the kitchen to get some snacks and tea for everyone. Navya sprang from the lap of her father and mingled with her cousins. Aditya, who was still a little boy was sleeping.

"Where's di?", asked Piyush, while Sheetal went inside the kitchen to have a conversation with Piya.

"Why are all of you here?", enquired Ramesh, pissed off.

"Papa ji, we have a surprise for you and I am sure you will love it", Amit replied, chuckling leaving Piyush speechless. They surely had a shock for his father.

"Di, where's Neha di?", whispered Sheetal in the kitchen.

"The bride-to-be is in the bathroom", Piya chuckled.

"Di, but what if your parents wouldn't allow", Sheetal asked timidly. As much as she wanted this marriage to happen, she was afraid of the reaction of her in-laws. She had been fighting her battles each day and she knew what kind of vile woman was Anju, her mother-in-law. Her husband had been supportive of her and had even let her work remotely from home but her in-laws were too conservative. The only reason, she chose to stay with them was they were old and they needed care.

While adding the ingredients in the tea, Piya muttered determinedly, "Sheetal, marriage will surely happen".

"I want it to happen, di. Varun, may be a good guy, but he has his own issues and he is not a right person for Neha di. Since last five years, I am tired of watching Neha di suffering because of the tormenting words of your mother. She deserves the world and Arjun jijaji is the right guy for her." Sheetal mumbled, genuinely caring for Neha. She washed her hands and helped Piya arrange the snacks in the plate.

"My mother is your mother-in-law, Sheetal and I know she is a very difficult woman to live with. It's you who is adjusting with her instead of moving out, Sheetal." Piya mumbled, with genuine respect for Sheetal. Having moved out of the joint family, Piya had finally began living on her terms however, she pitied Sheetal. The young girl was stuck with a vile mother-in-law. "I will suggest you to start working just like you wanted after Neha's wedding", Piya suggested.

"Piyush and I have decided the same. Times are changing, di and I am glad you all have stood for your sister. Its high time, I too take a stand." Sheetal mumbled, quickly arranging everything in the tray. The tea was not ready yet, though.

"You are a gem", Piya mumbled, bringing a smile on Sheetal's face.

The tea had come to the boil. Switching off the gas stove, Sheetal asked, "When are they coming?"

"At eleven, today", Piya replied, as she began arranging the cups.

"There's gonna be a blast!" Sheetal could not help but laugh.

"I know, I know but wedding will happen at all costs, Sheetal. We have seen Neha crying since the day she decided to get this prestigious job. She did everything to make her parents proud while Ma and Papa never treated her fairly. When she has decided to find her happiness, we decided to support her. That's the least we could do, right?" Piya mumbled, determined to make Neha's wedding happen.