Kiss Me 🙈

"Di, Atul is a good guy", Piyush told her sister, briefing about the new prospective groom, her family had found for Neha.

It was seven in the evening after a hectic Thursday and Neha had skipped the dinner. Well! Her abdomen was paining and period cramps were unbearable. It was the second day of menstruation and she was glad that weekend was coming soon.

With a hot water bag under her stomach, she was lying on her belly, biting her lips every now and then, while her brother was telling about Atul Bansal, a chartered accountant working in Delhi.

"Piyush, I am not interested", Neha mumbled, suppressing her painful groans, embarrassed to even say that she was having cramps while Piyush continued to sing praises of Atul until Sheetal asked, "Di, but why not?"

"I like someone", finally Neha confessed and she chuckled when Piyush hooted and Sheetal awed from the other end.

"We are in Mission Reject Atul together", Sheetal cackled while Piyush enquired the whereabouts of the guy like a protective brother.

With crimson hues on her rosy cheeks, Neha narrated her meeting with Arjun and her proposal hiding the romantic details obviously.

"Since he has been in the army, I approve of him. Just take care of yourself and I am looking forward to meet your Arjun soon." Piyush assured her sister and she was over the moon. A sudden gush of blood passed through her uterus and she could not control her whimper as the cramp increased.

Piyush and Sheetal talked for a while when Sheetal was called by Anju to prepare the dinner and it was then, Neha heard Piyush sighing before ending the conversation. Neha decided to make a quick dinner for her and then, pop up a painkiller in her mouth.

The pain was getting intolerable and it was never good to miss the meals. This is why, she hated the five days of the month when Aunt Flow greeted her.

She was fixing the salad for herself when her phone rang and her mood fell, since it was her mother calling her. Nevertheless, she greeted her mother who retorted scornfully, "I want you to meet Atul and say a 'yes'".

For obvious reasons, she could not tell her mother about Arjun so she just hummed. "And yes, we have not told about your called off engagement so behave before him", her mother ordered and she simply, hummed again.

"His family is well-cultured just like us. He stays in Delhi and he doesn't even have problem with you having a transferrable job. He is just like someone you want so, behave or else your father will choose the groom for you, yourself." Her mother threatened her and she nodded.

"Atul might be good but he cannot replace Arjun". Her heart chanted and she simply, replied to her mother, "I will meet him and tell you".

"Don't you dare reject him or else I and your father will come to Delhi and see, what are you doing. Perhaps, Rahul was right!" Her mother babbled judging her character reminding her of all the traumatic memories.

"Why can't Ma simply, trust me, love me? What sins did I do to get parents like Ma and Papa?" She asked herself as tears brimmed in her eyes while her mother continued to talk how irrationally she had behaved to reject Rahul who was just perfect for her despite, knowing Rahul was anything but perfect!

"I wish you were not born, Neha. You are such a disgrace. Just accept Atul's proposal and let us get rid of you." Her mother said, while sipping her morning tea, irritated that Neha seemed to be disinterested in the conversation, hurting the poor girl even more.

Neha disconnected the call and switched off her mobile, throwing it somewhere in the couch. She could not help but compare Arjun's family with hers and feel disgusted at her own parents. Anxiety seeped in and she began sweating. All she needed was a puff of cigarette.

Standing in her balcony, she puffed the expensive Marlboro Red, without giving a damn about the abdominal cramps, trying hard to keep herself calm when she realized that she could speak to Arjun to feel better.

Arjun had been eating mutton biryani he had cooked for himself when his phone rang. He had fed Bruno and his pet dog had called it a night! A smile crept on his lips to see Neha was calling him, yes, his own sweet Sneha, the girl he loved from the bottom of his heart.

"Hey, what's up?" He asked gobbling the morsel of delicious rice mixed with a piece of succulent mutton.

"My parents are asking me to meet Atul, some CA", she said, standing in the balcony.

"And you cannot deny, right?" Arjun asked nonchalantly, still engrossed in his meal.

"They will never understand", Neha mumbled, pissed off, at the lack of attention she was getting.

"See, in this case, I will suggest that meet Atul and tell him that you cannot take the things further", Arjun spoke, still not fathoming her concerns. He was not at fault, though!

"Arjun", Neha whined, seeking some emotional intimacy which he failed to give at the moment.

"What's wrong, dear?" He asked, carrying his plate in the kitchen after savouring the delicious meal.

It was then, Neha felt helpless. Tongue-tied, she did not know how to voice her reasons of feeling sad.